The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Anatomy 101 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
Whilst reviewing some basics in yon Bobo's, methinks I hath found something a little odd about my hand. Maybe not. But, several sources say that when classic palming, you should place the coin there with the second and third fingers. If I were to do that, the coin would end up just below my thumb as my fingers are at an angle when my hand is folded. Anybody else like this? Now, I have obviously compensated, I am just wondering if anyone else has this and if it inhibits further coin work or not. I also have the hugest windows between my fingers on planet earth, but that's another story.
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hi my friend...you will be OK. In fact, when I classic palm, I do not use the second or third finger at all. I balance the coin on the tip of my fourth finger, which places it into the classic palm position. Using only the fourth finger also really helps hide the "palming motion"... Smile
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
As for the windows, just practice holding your fingers tight together, as time goes on you will begin to hold them that way naturally and you won't look like you are trying to hold them that way.

I also have very bad windows,(to many broken fingers in football) in fact try this test...
Hold you hands up in front of you with the tops of your hands facing you, then put you pointer fingers side by side... How far apart are the tips of your fingers?

Mine are about 7/8 of an inch apart... and the middle join (knuckle) on my fingers are tight together... Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
Use what works.

Some one once commented to me...your classic palm should be "deeper".

Hmmmm.

Guess I'll keep practicing.

Josh
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi gforster,

I've got the smallest hands. Most of the time my hands are smaller then most girls. But I adapted. It makes working with Dollars a little harder, but I can still make it work.

keep at it brother,
Greg Smile
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
I'm sorry if I was confusing. I didn't say that I can't CP or do any sleights because of the way my hands are built. I have adapted where I need to (I use the third and fourth fingers to get into classic palm). I was just curious to see if the "normal" way mentioned in books is really normal or if most people have hands that are quite different.
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Yes adaptation is the key to coin or other sleight of hand work. My hands are also extremely small.
I go back and forth between half dollars, smaller change, dimes, quarters...

When I work with dollars too long, my hands tend to cramp up.

Doc calls it tendonitis.

My wife calls it old age.

John, your idea of using the fourth finger is interesting.

Is the fourth finger the same as the "pinky"?

Harris "Palms of Aluminum Foil" Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Anatomy 101 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL