The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A newbie with gaffed and gimmicked coins needs advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Greeting coin conjurors.

I'm not new to magic in general, but I am new to the use of gaffed and gimmicked coins.

I recently purchased a copper/silver (U.S Half Dollar & English Penny) set from Roy Kueppers which I must say is most excellent!

Learning some effects with the set has whetted my appetite to learn more about the various types of gaffed and gimmicked coins that are available, as well as their use and care.

QUESTION #1: Are there any books or dvds available that address this subject? Not coin manipulation or coin sleights in general mind you, but gaffed and gimmicked coins in particular.

I recently purchased two "stuck" sh**l sets on the big auction site which were advertised as Tango Ultimate Coin (T.U.C) Half dollar sets for nine dollars each. For that price I doubted that they were, in fact, authentic TUC sets.

I gather from posts on this forum that TUC coins employ m*****s. Upon arrival I tested them for that and they failed. I was able to unstick the coins with no problem and found both Half Dollars to contain Mexican 20 peso in****s. Tango uses English pennies, not Mexican 20 peso pieces for their Half Dollar sets, do they not? As best as I can tell they are simple s***l sets.

I believe the s****s are of the non-expanded type. I must say that they both seem extremely well made to me. When the in****s are married to the s****s the coins appear absolutely normal, even upon very close inspection. So, all in all, I guess I did not fare too badly for my eighteen bucks. I have used a handerchief to expand the s****s as set out in other posts in this forum. This has helped somewhat but does not fully solve the problem, as the s****s and in****s keep sticking. Which brings me to...

QUESTION #2: After cleaning the s****s along the inner edges with a solvent to remove any foreign matter that may be in there, I was thinking of lightly going over the edges of the in****s with emory cloth until the sets no longer stick. Good idea or bad idea?

QUESTION #3: Since I have never owned this type of prop before, what should I be shooting for in terms of fit? (See why I need the books in Question #1?) During use, how are the in****s normally unmarried from the s****s? Gravity?

I eagerly await your replys. Smile

Dave Case
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Whoa, Dave!

Before you do any of that...

You've got two Scotch & Soda sets! They are supposed to stick together! You usually use a Bang Ring, or shake them in a glass tumbler to get them apart. Don't sand them or try to expand them! They're supposed to be examinable, albeit briefly.

Good luck, Dave! Smile

Doug
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Hey Doug

Thanks for the advice man!

Where can I learn more about the Scotch & Soda effect and bang rings?

Gratefully,

David
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Doug I'm back...

Found this description of the Scotch And Soda Mexican Coin effect on the Penguin Magic site:

"Effect 1

The magician shows a half dollar and a mexican coin in the left hand. He closes both hands and when he opens the left only the half dollar can be found because the mexican coin has appeared in the right hand!

Effect 2

The magician shows a half dollar and a mexican coin and places them in the hand spectator. The magician then asks the spectator to put their hands behind their back and pass a coin without looking. Then he asks the spectator to open the hand with the half dollar coin and amazingly, there is a half dollar! But the magician opens his hand only to find a quarter! The mexican coin has vanished!!

Effect 3

The magician shows two coins; a half dollar and a mexican coin, and places them on a pad or tablecloth. He then waves his hand over them for but a second and uncovers them only to find one coin! When he lifts the pad/tablecloth, the mexican coin is revealed!!"

Now it is becoming self evident what you mean, and how the trick works. Just one thing though, I need to get a couple of ungaffed Mexican 20 centavo pieces to complete the sets, right? Looks like the only real sleight needed to work the effect would be a little thumb p*lming. Coolisimo!
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
There is at least one DVD with 25 Amazing Tricks You Can Do With A Scotch And Soda. Also, probably some small pamphlets.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Kin Simmens Has 3 half size books on the S&S! I have one Routine in the 3th. book! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Hi, Dave,
I also bought one of those "TUC" sets from that seller. After it arrived I sent him a message, telling him that they were S&S sets, not TUC. He said he didn't know. I think he did, as TUC set will fetch more than an S&S. Anyway, I got another S&S set for less than retail. Before buying a lot more gaffs, check out the TUC thread which is many pages long.
Kelvin
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ha dave do check out the tuc forum here.
one of the best coin galfs out. and a
lot of routeins for this too.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Welcome Dave,

As to learning more about gaffed coins, you might check in Bobos New Modern Coin Magic, great book that does speak to the subject and many other things as to coin magic.

Also I believe David Roth has a DVD that covers the subject of gaffed coins quite expertly.

And I'm sure the subject is covered on one of the NYCMS DVDs, check here with Dr. Michael Rubinstein and he'll let you know as to exactly which one.

Gaffed coins are fun and that TUC is a nice one to play with and not too expensivenfor what all you can do with it. Smile

Again, welcome. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Dave,

Welcome to the world of Gaffed coins. There are some great products on the market that I am sure you will enjoy. Although you were hoping for a TUC coin set do not get discouramged with your purchase. Scotch & Soda is a very strong effect when performed in the spectator's hand. Good luck.

Mark
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
The Tangopedia DVD that comes with Tango products shows a plethora of different Gaffed coins, and a representative effect for each. This will give you a good idea of the many and most commonly used gaff coins. I think there must be twenty different Gaffed coins explained.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Dave,
Welcome to a whole new world my friend! I have to reccomend the "David Roth: The Ultimate Coin Magic Collection Volume 1" produced and sold by L & L Publishing.

This covers the Scotch and Soda plus numerous other gaffed coins.

AND, he covers your newest acqusiiton, Copper/Silver halves.

And as for the care of your coins. Here is an excerpt from the description of the DVD:

"their history along with their proper use and care, in addition to some innovative uses. And, of course, you’ll also learn some dynamite magic."

David is a great teacher.

You will find a ton of other sources by all means. I love this DVD and has served me well.

Good luck and I am excited for you!

Mike
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
Now it is becoming self evident what you mean, and how the trick works. Just one thing though, I need to get a couple of ungaffed Mexican 20 centavo pieces to complete the sets, right? Looks like the only real sleight needed to work the effect would be a little thumb p*lming. Coolisimo!

You don't need the extra centavo, but it is a nice addition.
If you would like, PM me with your physical address and I will send you a couple. Other option is to go to any coin dealer. They should have them for very cheap.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Wow, I'm overwhelmed by all the responses.

Thanks one and all!

JONNYBOY and DAVID NEIGHBORS: I found the Amazing Magic Tricks with a Scotch and Soda or Dime and Penny booklet by Kin Siemens on the big auction site for four bucks. Have not yet been able to find the three booklet set yet. Thanks for the tip.

KCQUINN50, BOWERS, and WHITEOAKCANYON: The tuc forum is almost overwhelming. I'm gonna spend a lot of time there to be sure!

MB217 and MIKENEWMAN: I have a beat up copy of the old Bobo's Modern Coin Magic but not the New Modern Coin Magic. Looks like I need to upgrade. Thanks too for turning me on to David Roth and the NewYorkCoinMagic.net site. What a great resource.

I'm very pleased with my Scotch and Soda sets and I'm looking forward to learning some great effects with them.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-10-15 16:18, Sammy J. wrote:
Quote:

You don't need the extra centavo, but it is a nice addition.
If you would like, PM me with your physical address and I will send you a couple. Other option is to go to any coin dealer. They should have them for very cheap.

Sammy

Sammy, thanks for your generous offer. I'll rout through my local coin guy's foreign coin bin for the 20 centavo pieces and if I come up with nothing I'll certainly send you my address.

One other thing...Here's to you and your wife. May the miracle never cease! Have a great day pal, your post made mine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A newbie with gaffed and gimmicked coins needs advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL