The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Live help suggestion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
While I understand the reason to have the live help toolbar on certain topics would it not be possible to only display it when help is at hand?
The reason I give is it is only usable from 8 - 4 Monday to Friday and this leaves a lot of time when it is not usable so why display it in those times?

On a technical side, I can not get broadband where I live and when the bar is displayed it slows my response noticably i.e. When I scroll down the page there is a half second delay which makes the page 'judder', this only happens on the pages where the bar is shown.

Just a thought.........
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I've been looking and I haven't yet seen the live help option at all. I think it's rather easy to do as you suggest, if they want to do it. Usually if they're not online you are able to leave them a message. That might be one reason why they want to leave it the way it is.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dave, look at any topic in latest and greatest. The help section will appear in the bottom right corner of the post.
Where the magic begins
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Nope, not for me. That's why I was mentioning it. I'm using Firefox at the moment with no blockers. I can see the olark chat javascript (I use it myself, thanks Acar) but the expected popup doesn't show. I'll test more later with other browsers when I get the chance.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Strange, I just logged in with firefox and the help icon is right there in the corner where it should be.
Where the magic begins
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Weird. Second computer, same browser setup. Works fine.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
No, when they are not online you can't leave a message so is it really necessary at those times?
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Can we have an option of displaying or not - It's at best interferring when not required.

Thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
In what way is it inteferring? It doesn't cover any text, does flash to get your attention, doesn't require any action on your part. It's just another icon on the page.
Where the magic begins
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
That'll be a "no" then?

It's a pop-up on my screen and remains there covering text when you scroll up and down - thus interferring.

No big deal. I'll just avoid those pages.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Roger Kelly-

A good central defender would sort out that pop-up on the left wing no probs. Like so much in life *sigh*

;-)
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Indeed! And another ten around him!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2011-10-18 12:03, Roger Kelly wrote:
That'll be a "no" then?

It's a pop-up on my screen and remains there covering text when you scroll up and down - thus interferring.

No big deal. I'll just avoid those pages.

I don't make the decisions here so I can't say if it's a no or not. I can say that the pop up may cover one word in the rare case where a post continues to the very end of the window, all you have to do is roll your mouse one click and the text is uncovered.
Where the magic begins
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Thanks for the tip Dave - I hadn't thought of that! Smile

I was only merely making the point that it appeared like one of those annoying (SPAM-like) pop-ups that you can't close or reduce and that 'hang' incessantly whilst you scroll up and down the page. i.e. invasive and interferring.

But I guess its a matter of preference and personal opinion - just like everything!

Thanks for giving it your full attention though.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Well, a couple of weeks have passed since I started this thread and I have got a bit used to the pop-up bar. I STILL find it annoying, not as much, but it does irk me.

Is there a reason, technical or otherwise, why it is there even when help is not at hand?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Live help suggestion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL