The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mindvention 2011 Dealers Room (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 11:47, Mindpro wrote:
Ah, David - the adventures of a first time Mindvention attendee. Just be careful as you do not want this used against you when wanting to attend future Mindvention events as the wife will be thinking "man everytimne he goes ti MV it costs us three grand."

I was unable to attend the lecture on the business of mentalism on Sunday. Can someone tell me or PM me about how that went, what was included and were there lecture notes?

Actually, Mindpro, I've always bought a lot of props -- even when I was going to magic conventions. I DO have reasons.

First: I think performers who can afford to need to support the designers of props wherever they can. Support's key. They deserve it. If they can't make a living, then they stop producing wonderful stuff. Purchasing their props is an investment to me.

Telling people when you find an awesome prop is also an investment. Too many people purchase props or books and keep them a secret. How does that help the guy who produced it? At MagicPendulums.com, for example -- we get lots of email from people who are happy with our pendulums or our books. I ask them to post on-line but very few do. Fair enough -- that's their choice...and I still love hearing they were happy. But their kind words would actually help us of they would post something about how happy they were. This is why I always make a point of letting people know when I've found something wonderful.

Second: I learn from every purchase I make. Some of what I get, I won't use. Not that the prop's bad -- it just doesn't suit me as well as I thought it would. So that stuff gets sold here or on the Big Auction Site...so it can go to someone who WILL use it. Either way at the minimum...I've learned something...and then passed it onto someone who can use it.

Third: Props really aren't that expensive when you look at the overall scheme of things. The going rate for close-up is $350 for the first hour and $250 for the second. Most trade shows pay even better. Corporate stage shows go for anywhere between $900 to $2500. So what is that stacked up against some prop purchases?

Third (A): Here's an example. I've order my own copy of Mother, based in large part on Bob C's recommendation. It cost me $405 shipped. How many shows do I have to use it in before it pays for itself? Less than half of ONE. That's about fifteen minutes. What is that compared to a prop used over a decade of shows?

Fourth: Sheree (my wife) was completely on side -- and did her own share of credit card heating...so we're happy all around.

Fifth: I like new toys.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 12:43, David Thiel wrote:
...Fifth: I like new toys.

:) Who not? Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Got max krause's supreme serial killer. Vey unique and invisible "gimmick". Great companion to go with finders keypers. Really love it
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
David, I didn't get to chat much with you, but I had a nice chat with Sheree. I saw her in a corner of Jack's with her pendulum kit out working on new one's. I was a little surprised she was left alone, but I made good use of a nice one to one chat. Glad to hear you both enjoyed the convention.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Sheree will often just stop and make a pendulum. It's not unusual. She feels the mood and she makes one. She really likes to capture the moment. I've seen her do stop and start building them in restaurants, on benches in shopping malls -- and now at MindVention in Jack's. She is all time favorite person.

I believe that was probably the last night? I was talking with Bob...and he was telling me about many many things. This I suppose is what Jack's is all about?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Bob certainly knows many things... Might say he is full of it. Smile couldn't pass the line up. And Shirley, that one was for you.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Parooom-PAH!

(A drumroll/rimshot for you, Tom.)

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Smile
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2011-10-22 15:31, Tom Cutts wrote:
Bob certainly knows many things... Might say he is full of it. Smile couldn't pass the line up. And Shirley, that one was for you.

:) Champagne Comedy my friend!
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
I bought a few things from Patrick Redford.. all of it is great. Bought Probe from the psychefx guys.. LOVE IT. And... got a copy of Bobs 'The Art of mentalism' SCORE!!!
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Looks like probe is a winner. I have that on my want list.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
I have been traveling since Mindvention and only got in last night, so I am a little slow to reply.

Here on the Café, I usually hang out in the Spooky forum, but I really love Mindvention. I had a great time as always, and I really appreciate those of you who stopped by to take a look at the bizarre props. Some of this stuff was only available there until Halloween night, when Alchemy Moon goes live!

It was great getting to meet so many wonderful people.

Personally, I got Paul Carnazzo's card tests and some products from Tony Chris. I have not had the opportunity to pull any of this out and play with it yet, but I look forward to doing so soon!
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
I Spent a small fortune at the promystic booth but it was fantastic and I believe money well spent. Having never met Craig before and shared emails and calls over the last three years it was great meeting him. The dealers room was small but great and the guys from down under were terrific. This was my first Mindvention, but certainly not my last. Also having bought stuff from Max Krause before and meeting him at the show convention was also a treat. Well done Danny Archer.
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
So, at Mindvention this is what I picked up:

Alchemy Moon's "Fate and Free Will", "Hypno-Card", and "The Witch of Glastonbury". All of the Alchemy Moon props are awesome!

Paralabs "Picture Cards" with the routine book...these cards are great, and Thomas and Rainer are geniuses!

Jan Forster's lecture notes are full of fantastic ideas!

Walter Davis' Monkey Wallet...such a cool little wallet!!

I also picked up a dispenser of IT by Mesika...gonna try to tie my own l***s.
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
Quote:
* Paul C showed me Lexicology at the University of Jack's Pub on the first night. It was one of the few effects that has actually taken my breath away. I was totally fooled...blasted...and I bought it as soon as I could the next day. Amazing prop!

David,

I'm so glad that you liked Lecicology! I hope you are using it!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Paul's stuff is really good! If you have not looked at his stuff, I encourage you to do so.

Jamie Salinas
Jamie Salinas
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
Hi Anyone pick up supreme serial killer form Max Krause? looking for presentation ideas?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mindvention 2011 Dealers Room (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL