The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Is it just my imagination? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Is it just my imagination (or a lame excuse maybe), but it seems like in each city there is a different "hire an entertainer" culture? I mean that some cities are really into hiring entertainers (for all types of events and birthdays) and some are more "do it yourself instead of hiring entertainers". I'm very experienced, but mostly in Ohio and now in Eugene Oregon, so I don't know a lot about other areas, but is it like I described?
In Columbus, Ohio there was a big hire an entertainer culture - it was very common and there was plenty of work (plenty of competition too - but that's another story). Here in Eugene it's about one fourth the size, but even factoring that in there seems too be much less work available. I get a fair amount of gigs anyway, and there is less competition here, but it just seems like I'd being getting more work elsewhere even with more competition. Am I making lame excuses or is there something to my theory?

Part of the issue here is that there is much fewer big businesses here. But also the percentage of people who hire entertainers for house parties seems smaller. Sure, it's my job to work harder to get gigs to make up for that, but I'm just wondering if other people have noticed this or feel the same way. I travel around Oregon more than I'd like to make up for this, but of course I'm not going to travel 2 hours for a birthday unless they want to pay big bucks.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Not just your imagination. Parents, and kids, like to do what others do.
If birthday shows is 'the thing' to do then yes there will be a bigger demand.
Having more magicians in an area can actually help build a demand. Of course you don't
want one for every household either. Smile

One thing you can do to help raise the demand in a slow area is to flood the area with advertizing.
Not only does this let people know you there, it also makes them think there is a bigger demand.

Then too, in some smaller areas, you may be forced to travel, you may not have a choice.
That's just the way it is and you either do it, or move on to something else.

Yep, the real world is somewhat different and much larger than the internet world.

Tom
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Of course, if entertainers aren't the "norm", then folks will be unlikely to think of hiring them. Your job, if you're in such an area, is to create a huge buzz about your show. I think I'd enjoy that challenge. No doubt, the best scenario is when there are a good number of entertainers, but not too many. They will generate business for each other. Exactly what the optimum number of entertainers for any given geographical area is, depends on the quality of the entertainment, the variety of alternatives, the budgets of clients, and lots more.
My opinion is that it should be much easier to create a great business if there is no competition, than if there is a lot. At this stage, word-of-mouth will be outstanding advertising. But most likely, if entertainers are often seen, then folks will always be looking to find newbies. So, there will always be a good client base for entertainers, until the market becomes saturated.
I work in a "saturated" area.
Here, you will only get regular work if you're either very good, or very cheap. And, if you're very cheap, you still can't afford to be a poor entertainer.
food for thought....
Potty Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
There's an old joke around these parts that goes something like this.

Do you know why there are so many hippies in Eugene?
There are no jobs there.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Potty and Tom, I agree with you guys, that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if it was just me and my imagination. I am sort of the"guy to call" around here for kids entertainment, more or less, but I do need to make more effort in marketing. One issue is that there is a lame boring weird magician/balloonist around here that you see at public events a lot. And I think people think that that's what they might get if they hired a magician. Boring magicians and clowns, etc., tend to blind the public as to what entertainers can and should be.

Payne: Ahh, the Eugene hippie jokes, was waiting for that! I think the jokes are funny too, but hippies seem to be a small minority around here, you see them plenty at the Saturday market and certain places, though maybe it used to be different and the stereotype stuck. I don't have any Seattle jokes, but it's a very cool place if you like your fish thrown at you....BOOM!.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I recently moved from Limerick to Cork, a distance of only 60 miles. Yet the party culture is completely different. I was doing an hour long show (normally twice a day) for a price that was average in Limerick. But when I moved to Cork my fee was considerably higher than the norm, and every booker expected an hour and a half. And no one would accept entertainment in the second half of the party. So double days were out. My income took a savaging.

So you are right; different cities have different attitudes towards entertainers.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I live in Oralndo, where there's a total entertainer-culture due to the Disney, Universal, Seaworld parks, and the overflow of entertainers of every stain is all over the place. yes, the atomosphere does dictate the hiring.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Hi Dan.
I live in Eugene as well. I don't think we've crossed paths yet. I know what you mean. I don't really do a heck of a lot of kids shows anymore. Years ago when I did mostly kids shows, they were always tough to get and it was even tougher to paid a decent amount for doing them. These days I mostly perform a parlour or stage type show. It's a good thing I have a day job, becouse it's still tough to make much money. I have a girl in the show as well as a sound man and my problem is I split the money 3 ways so we all get the same amount. I know who your talking about here in town with the balloon animals and magic. I think he may do more harm than good for magic in our town. We should get together one of these days. If your bored this Thursday at 11:45 we'll be at the Hult Center in the lobby for a short show. We don't get paid for it, but I hope it may lead to a few shows in the future. I'm thinking about asking the staff not to put out any chairs, that way we can tell everyone we had a standing room only crowd.
Take care, Bob.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
DR., I PM'd you. I can't make the Hult center, but I would like to meet you.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Hey Dan, PM'd you back.
Take care, Bob.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If you can find another magician, have a "friendly" competition with them. Each of you agrees to use advertising that states you're better then the other guy. You make challenges that get you in the papers... for free.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Is it just my imagination? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL