The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ray Roch's Impossible Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Just received an email from Paul Romhany advertising this as an effect for the "walk about" performer.
http://paulromhanymagic.myshopify.com/pr......ible-box
What are some thoughts?
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I thought it was crap...but then that's just me!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Eh, I could see this having some merit. Being able to do a chop cup or cup and ball routine without having to carry an actual cup. I suppose it would take some of the skepticism away from the actual cup. I don't know if I'd actually purchase it though, but I do think it's interesting.
LDL....how have you been? Haven't seen you around in a while.
patrick
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Hey Chris, looks like you at the end of the demo.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Been good Patrick. How about you? I see you're at the Tilted Kilt. We have two up this way. I should get down to Downers Grove so we can get together. I'm in for Thanksgiving, but meeting some freinds in Chicago on Friday. I'll let you know.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Sounds great LDL....give me a call when you're in town
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2011-11-04 17:46, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Hey Chris, looks like you at the end of the demo.

Ummm....where?!?!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Chris,
Why did you think it was crap? I'm curious.
Billy Joel
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

[quote]On 2011-11-04 20:50, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:

where?!?!
At 1:13 out of 1:23 but I'm comparing a one second glimpse to a person I've never met so I'm probably way off base.

From the demo I've seen the production and loads seem pretty obvious.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Another qustion that comes to mind. Do you approach the table with the box or construct it once there? They both have their downsides. If you approach with the box it seems more suspicious than a cup since no one has ever seen one before and if you make it during your routine the construction creates a lot of downtime.

I once rented space at a wedding expo to promote my reception magic. The napkin rose seemed to be a perfect fit, romance themed and a nice give away. What I discovered was that for every rose I made 10-15 potential clients walked right past my booth because nothing was happening to attract their attention.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I just ordered this. I rather like the idea of creating something with old cards I am likely to discard. I also think it could be made a bit more meaningful if it was combined with a few other effects and to use cards that have been written on specifically for a participant as a souvenir.
KJ
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Any review on this ?
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 18:04, MikeTheKid wrote:
Any review on this?

There's this, above:

Quote:
On 2011-11-03 20:19, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I thought it was crap...but then that's just me!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Looks interesting but I too saw the loads going in,, but maybe playing around with it you coudld come up with something better, not sure
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Yes, you could see the loads going in. However, it is about the same size as a cup, so the loads shouldn't be seen going in. I think this little box offers other opportunities. I'm thinking of a humorous routine where you keep finding the wrong selected and lost card and in the end the load is something related to the effect and one of the cards that makes up the box turns into their selected card.
KJ.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.. I'll put in a review, but having a pretty good idea of how it is done, I will be looking for clever ideas on what to do with is.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I received it today and had a chance to take a look at it. It is a bit "old fashioned" performance, but I see some potential in it. The making of a card box is nothing new, as you can find a zillion ways to make a card box on the internet, including this one. However, he covers a wide variety of handlings. Frankly, he looks like he is not in great health on the DVD, so perhaps that is why the handling doesn't look so good. However, someone who is decent at cups and balls should have no problem with this. He teaches handlings that I have never seen on any cups and balls DVDs. Not out of this world, but not bad. He also covers a few routines that if one were to adapt them to their own style, they could really be good. One of the routines is based on a golfing theme where he produces a golf ball, an eye ball, and a small bottle of liquor. It is really pretty good! He also has a gambling theme routine that is pretty good as well. He covers a lot of material and I think if one is watching it with an eye as to what you might do with it to make it your own, it is a valuable resource. I developed my own gambling routine, inspired from this, that involves a participant picking cards one at a time from six cards layed out in front of them, their purpose is to pick the cards that "aren't" their card, leaving their previously selected card as the last card face down. I will then make the box with each card they select, one at a time, placing the final card face down as the lid of the box, with their selected card folded and secretly loaded into the box. They uncover the face down card as a bit of a let down, but discover their folded card inside. I think that if you can keep the suspense going while the box is being made, it has potential.

All in all, I would recommend it.

KJ
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks for your review... It was helpful!!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Not for me I don't think. There are some real gems on Paul's site though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ray Roch's Impossible Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL