The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Advertising (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Is it me or is the bizarre section more and more becoming a place where people try to sell their stuff, either directly or indirectly.
What do you peoples think?
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Spooky is, and always has been, a place for sharing--ideas, videos, fun, products (new and classic), stories, successes, experiences, philosophies, &c.

I personally like seeing what's new at Lebanon, Outlaw, Alchemy Moon, Taylor Imagineering, Higley's Grind Show, Wack-o, and the rest as well as those newcomers with one-off creations. It is a forum, and, at least since the time of the Roman Empire, forums have included a marketplace. Why not?

More and more? No. Seems about the same to me, and a quick scan through the archives tends to bear out that perception.
Phasmologist
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
I have been here for years and years, in various incarnations, and have only recently made a creation available. The first and last time, most likely. I love to stay aware of what is being offered by creators and vendors. I think of all the great things I have been made aware, and bought, because of this forum...things that were posted by people who aren't magic shop owners; fantastic ebooks from Tony Iacoviello and many others, books by Baba Gede Nibo, Jim Magus and many others. So much great stuff. I also like hearing about what is up at places like Alchemy Moon, Subversive Circuits and others. I get inspired by things like the PK Femur Bone that was being sold by an independant creator a while ago.

I think to keep a balance between commercialization and content, it is up to us as forum contributors to ensure that we post interesting link & ideas of a non-commercial nature, as well as ensuring we respond and engage on such threads.

Just my opinion.
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
Nobody forces me to buy.
I like to see novelties, creations and products from bizarre magic providers. Even if I absolutely don't want to buy them, and very often I know it at the first sight. For any reason..too much for the health for my bank account, not really the magic I like, not adapted for my audience...but still before being a "ware" or just a source of income for someone, it is also the expression of a point of view about bizarre magic. It is also a information about the evolution of our art. I can agree with that or not.

I am in a way quite new on the magic café so I cannot compare...sorry.

I work in the marketing area and I can tell you that using internet forums is a very important point to increase your reputation, keep your customers and build viral marketing. Everybody does it, magic is not an exception...
TwentyOne
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of TwentyOne
I am happy that I can read here about new products, it is one of those things why I am here.d
There are not too much this posts,and if you don't want to see advertisement, it is quite easy.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
I like it that products on here are not the mainstream type packet effects that are ten a penny . I adore peoples ability to make stuff ,unusual stuff in particular . Ive submitted opictures on here but never once added "selling" . Granted I have sold a few .I would like to think that the purchasers have recieved individual pieces that they appreciate and can add that particular dressing they require in thier performance .
Keep on making guys and gals I love to see stuff .
Mark
E.O.I
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I wouldn't have known the new Wack-O cane was available if it hadn't been posted here. And that's something I've been looking for, for about 10 years now.

I also love seeing those creations by Rick and Dan et al that I can only dream of owning. I think it's important for the growth of the bizarre field to have products made public. No point in creating something spectacular and keeping it to yourself.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Everything has a function.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
I generally keep the first one of everything that I make ..lol
E.O.I
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm still new to this area of the Café, and have been attaining more and more of these wonderful props due to the news and information found here. I for one, feel like a kid in a candy store, and I hope this second childhood doesn't end anytime soon.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
You have to remember that bizarre is a niche market, you can't walk into Murphy's Magic or most other mainstream retailers and buy the effects you see folk like myself touting on the Spooky forum. So to make it available to the public you need to inform people about it - but as we all know you're not allowed to advertise unless you have a banner ;-)

Darkly

Dan
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I don't mind seeing information on new items intended for bizarrists, in fact, I appreciate it.

However, I would prefer legitimate information rather than sales copy. Since we're a specialized group, I'd like to see a description of the effect and, without giving away anything, any challenges that might need to be overcome (i.e. angles, pre-show work, must wear loose sleeves, etc.)

Taking this a bit off topic, does anyone else here hate the video ads for products that take half the time of the video showing the name and creator, then give a brief implication of what the trick is and focus on audience response? It may get a great reaction, but if I don't see the effect, how can I know if it will fit my style/act? It's like McDonald's saying they've got a great new item they want you to eat and people like it, but they won't tell you what it is.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Quote:
On 2011-11-09 13:10, Lucien Astor wrote:
I have been here for years and years, in various incarnations, and have only recently made a creation available. The first and last time, most likely.

I hope this is not the last time. If your tarot is any indication of the quality and thinking. then I am hoping for more of your offerings in the future.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Thanks Necroloid!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Advertising (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL