The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Child's Spirit Board (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vanitywilde
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of vanitywilde
As my routine goes, I explained that as a medium, it is most important to remain in control of spirits at all times as there have been several incidences with other mediums where a spirit gained control and kept it. Adult spirits can and will lie, manipulate and mislead us, which is why I do not use the traditional Ouija board as I do not want the spirits to have such an extensive vocabulary. By limiting them to YES or NO, I keep control. I also choose only to engage child spirits because, not unlike living children; child spirits will want to please and will trust an adult…

After watching Dan Baines and his Dolly Darko video where he claims that due to a child having little to no vocabulary, conventional methods for spirit contact were not feasible, I became fascinated by Dolly Darko’s storyline and was inspired to make a Victorian christening doll and a Victorian “dead ringer” child’s coffin that I use for my séances. I am not just going to take without giving so, because of much respect and admiration for Dan and his work, I also bought a custom version of Dolly Darko and it’s a boy!

I needed something unique to add to my routine. I am a huge fan of Rick and have gotten several items from him. The effects and quality keep me coming back for more. While perusing his site, I came across his Darkboard. I wanted one so badly! Peoples natural disdain and belief in the Ouija board made me want one but because my entire routine in based on child spirits, I needed something unconventional. So I thought: if a child dies before he is able to read, he obviously cannot use a traditional Ouija board. Brainstorming, I came up with the idea that a child may not be able to read but will understand pictures. I found and manipulated a picture of two Victorian style cherubs. I made one bright eyed and smiling for YES and the other sad with closed eyes and a tear for NO.

I contacted Rick and told him exactly what I wanted. My child’s Ouija board needed to look beyond aged. Those in my circle know that I experienced a devastating house fire in February of this year. I told him that story and that I wanted the board to look as if it survived fire and water damage and that I dug for it through all of my charred belongings. I then sent the image of the cherubs to him. When my Darkboard arrived, just the sight of it made me believe my own story. You could almost smell the soot and ashes! It looked fragile yet powerful and full of mystery.

To explain the “supernatural” activity of the Darkboard, I tell my audience that unlike adults, children cannot always control their tempers. When a child spirit is ready to communicate he can be clumsy, when he is ready to leave us, he may become impetuous…

By combining the brilliant mind of Dan and the incredible ability of Rick, I had exactly what I was looking for.

Vanity

Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
686 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
That looks wonderful! Some great thinking behind it too.
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Wow! Great concept, great creativity! Tha is for sharing pics as well.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Amazing! Rick outdid himself this time.
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I had to think about a real response after the above post. This board is fabulous!
I don't think I can expand on what Vanity has already said, but if I could, I'd probably say, it's clear that her thinking has prompted Rick and Tim to customize a prop that shows, (to me at least) the true versatility of team outlaw.

I am truly impressed!!

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
TwentyOne
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of TwentyOne
Fantastic!
By the way,this is very good example of how you need to think to make sitter believe in you story.
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
Very nice exploration of different concepts !

Creative mind ! A special spirit board for ghostly children is a good idea, and you hold a interesting script.
Combined with very beautiful props it makes a lot of credibility.
Thanks for sharing !
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Vanitywilde, I remember the first post you made here seeking advice. WOW…….have you come along way! Very nice routine…ideas…..a rising star
Nice job as always Rick.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Vanitywilde, just reading your premise for this effect gave me goosebumps. Your brainstorming has paid off...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Vanity is very very creative. She came to us with a vision of a board that had been to hell and back. I worked closely with her on exactly how the board would look and the artwork she had chosen.

Her board is simply stunning. A true bizarre artifact.

-Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
vanitywilde
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of vanitywilde
ThanX guys!

Your feedback means lots. Rick did a wonderful job. As many of you know, he never ceases to amaze!

I gaffed the old doll head that you see so that it turns slightly. This actually sent a woman scrambling to get out of the room cause the head turned to face her.

At some point, I will post my Christening doll and the beautiful yet tragic story behind it.

Vanity
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
OMG. If that doll's head would have turned and faced me, I would have been too busy messing my pants to leave the room.
Wow. Powerful stuff Vanity.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
BA...DA.....BING
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Since Halloween will be here before we know it, I thought that it would be cool to look at the child spirit board again. Isn't is cool as heck?

Just proves that you don't need letters or a 'yes' and 'no' on a board to make it spooky. Wow, this board is spooky and a real delight.

Ray
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Its a great looking board that's for sure, got me thinking anyway. I am still flat on my back so won't be doing anything on halloween, but next year Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Very creative and smart. The workmanship is of course to the highest standard.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Wow that looks terrific. Let us know how it plays in performance. Congratulations!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The original post is years old now. I too would love to know how this version of the Dark Board paid off. It looks so dark.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Child's Spirit Board (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL