The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Elephant Man Seance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
There's some pretty excellent bizarre e-books floating around at the moment, mostly from UK authors but now it's time for a Frenchman to take the stage! Jeremy is a Café member but as he's not one to 'blow his own trumpet', I though I would blow it for him (please, get your mind out of the gutter!)

Jeremy Lefebure has just released his first séance book about Joseph Merrick, aka the Elephant Man (1862-1890). With more than six routines, this book contains everything you need to build and design a full show about the amazing destiny of the Elephant Man. It also includes biographic resources and numerous pictures.

Tragic, creepy, touching…take your spectators on a journey through the freaky part of the Victorian London!

The book contains also three other routines, including “Stauf Toy Shop”, a terrifying mentalism act. Your guests will never look at a mechanic toy the same way.

Jeremy has been a contributer to the Mystic Menagerie for quite a while, his submissions became so good that I suggested he should actually hold them back and write a book, well, this is the result. If you like building your own props and great routines with imagination and historical content you can't go wrong with this one!

Hopefully we'll have a review in the Mystic Menagerie Christmas Special!

http://themysticmenagerie.com/The%20Elep......nce.html

Darkly

Dan
krakhead
View Profile
Regular user
I have built a fence, it has
126 Posts

Profile of krakhead
This looks really interesting - I'll be picking this up at some point... Smile
He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological and powerful. So don't listen to him. Remember that - do not listen
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I shall be reviewing this excellent book for a future issue of the Mystic Menagerie. Trust me, it's well worth your while. Jeremy is a great thinker and has produced a book full of great ideas around an intriguing historical figure. One to get!
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
Thank you dear fellows !

Still I blow my trumpeting...

I hope the readers will find inspiration and a full content to build their own séance through this book, which is the purpose.
Don't be frightened by the noise of a limping walk with a stick while reading the book !

May the spirit of the Elephant Man haunt your séances !
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
It's a weird synchrnonicity but I was planning an Elephant Man seance earlier this year and was trying to get the suitable locations. This book is a real winner. Congrats!
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
I have placed my order and will do a review after I have read Jeremy's interesting ebook.

The story of John Merrick is such a powerful and emotional one that this purchase was a no-brainer for me!

The film adaptation starring John Hurt is a fantastic work of cinematography also.

Regards
Dr Rob.
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
This is a very popular book at the moment and I was discussing the powerful content at Tabula Mentis, it's a really emotional subject that everyone can connect with regardless of what part of the world you are from.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
It's an incredible piece of work full of Jeremy's great thinking and a dream for the bizarre performer. There will be a full review in a future Mystic Menagerie but my advice for now is buy it! You won't be disappointed.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Just ordered this. I don't think I will ever do an Elephant Man Seance, but sounds like a good read. One good idea will make it a worthy investment.
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
Anybody ready to review this?
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Here is a mini review as I have only just managed to finish reading it,

The Highlight of this ebook is " The Stauf Toy Shop " so much that it could be sold as a stand alone routine and still leave the purchaser feeling he has paid too little!
The routine will frighten most of your spectators and leave a nasty memory in the back of their minds whenever they see the item to which the routine relates too.

The Elephant Man Séance isn't really a séance as such but with a little thought it can be routined into a séance however what Jeremy has done is given the purchaser details on how to create a special thing to use in order to present other routines relating to the life and death of John Merrick.
(I have had to be a little vague with my description as to protect the investment others have made)

What I mention next maybe only due to the fact that Jeremy is French and English isn't his first language, There are quite a lot of spelling and word errors which were a little awkward to understand however after reading it for a second time it will become a lot easier to understand.

What you have here is a well thought out ebook of routines which are definitely worth the price I paid, I can only repeat what I said at the beginning The stauf Toy Shop is the outstanding gem here.

And these are my thoughts.

Regards
Dr Rob.
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
Thanks Dr Rob,

I am glad you enjoyed the book. You know what ? Actually Stauf Toy Shop was the first routine I had written and at the very first idea, I wanted to sell only this one. But The Elephant man séance was a project I had for a long time, and I really wanted to release it. Morever I thought it would be a bit nasty from me to sell only one routine.
I like the idea that anyone in the world could be frightened forever by seeing a mechanic toy just because he has seen my routine...cool !
I have built up a whole mythology about the infamous Herr Stauf and his strange creations. So I might release other routines with haunted toys, in the future Mystic Menagerie issues, why not...

I apologize if my mistakes cause misunderstandings or disturb the readers, I'll do better next time.

About the séance, actually the words "spirit séance" are not related to the same reality here in France. Unless we could easily imagine Alexandre Dumas, George Sand, Théophile Gautier and of course Victor Hugo together around a spirit board, séances are not so "popular" here than in US or in Great Britain. Our society remains catholic and cartesian, that's the way. I know that Allan Kardec and Eva Carrière -prestigious names in the history of spirit- were French, but no man is a prophet in his own country. They are themselves more famous outside France.
And myself, I wrote a book in english, about an english freak, a german toy designer, a dutch captain...and I am french (I know, Jeremy was an hebrew prophet, but I don't claim to be able to make miracles or to speak in the name of God...I am just a magician Smile

Well, more seriously, I am happy if you can build your own elephant man séance and go further than what I describe, that's why, as you said, I let details and ideas to make the reader develop his own way if he likes.
Thanks for your review. For a last word I would enjoy to see your own Stauf and Elephant man props one day, if you have no concerns to share them, of course.
Cordialement
Jeremy
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Jeremy has produced a wonderful piece of work here, about a touching and intriguing subject. Beautifully designed too with some fantastic illustrations.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Elephant Man Seance (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL