The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Who is your #1 juggling teacher? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Which juggler instructor do you think is the best? My favorite teacher is Al Angello. I met up with him at a convention. I still treasure what he taught me.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Marc Parrett. He's not really that well known in juggling circles, but is better known for his puppetry. He not only taught me the fundamentals of juggling he also taught me how to become a performer.

He was my teacher for 3 years and I owe him everything.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Great question!

I learned to juggle from a book. I know, I know…as Al is always telling us, nothing is better than a live teacher.

But to this day, “The Juggle Book,” by Carlo, holds a dear place in my heart.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The Carlo book is a collectors item. I even made a set of his home made juggling clubs (they were very hard to juggle)

I learned about 75% of my juggling from the Philadelphia juggling club. The rest I picked up at juggling conventions, and attending juggling performances.

I learned how to dress flashy from my buddy Dynamike
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bittertalker
View Profile
New user
Cape Cod
22 Posts

Profile of Bittertalker
I tried to teach myself through books, the internet, and videos, but wasn’t able to until I found someone to teach me. Now I wouldn’t necessarily say he was the best instructor, he was just for me. Having someone there in front of me made all the difference in the world.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 17:16, Al Angello wrote:
I learned how to dress flashy from my buddy Dynamike

LOL
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Dave Finnigan's book saw me through a lot of hard times in the early days. Following that, a video camera taught me a hell of a lot!
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 09:31, jugglestruck wrote:
Dave Finnigan's book saw me through a lot of hard times in the early days. Following that, a video camera taught me a hell of a lot!

jugglestruck,

Can you elaborate on how you used video to help improve your juggling?

Thank you!
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
In my early juggling days my partner and me came up with lots of new juggling patterns. If you go to
http://www.jugglestruck.co.uk/shows.htm
you'll see some of the stuff we used to do at the bottom of the page.

We found using a video camera gave us a lot better idea of how patterns looked, whether they were worth pursuing or not and watching stuff back instilled a lot of confidence in what we were doing.

Also, when it came to number juggling it was easier to see which hand did what. Trying to correct it was another thing altogether but at least it offered a goal.

At the end of a three hour session it was also just nice to sit down and have a look at what you'd been working on.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-11-23 17:13, jugglestruck wrote:
In my early juggling days my partner and me came up with lots of new juggling patterns. If you go to
http://www.jugglestruck.co.uk/shows.htm
you'll see some of the stuff we used to do at the bottom of the page.

We found using a video camera gave us a lot better idea of how patterns looked, whether they were worth pursuing or not and watching stuff back instilled a lot of confidence in what we were doing.

Also, when it came to number juggling it was easier to see which hand did what. Trying to correct it was another thing altogether but at least it offered a goal.

At the end of a three hour session it was also just nice to sit down and have a look at what you'd been working on.

This is extremely valuable advice from jugglestruck.

I am wondering how many camera angles might be needed to acquire the best analysis of how patterns look from the audience perspective.
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
I learned most of my juggling from The complete juggler by Dave finnigan. The rest was just watching videos on the internet. Unlike magic, juggling is pretty self explanatory.
FrankenBurton
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of FrankenBurton
I've never really had a teacher, I just find out what I can on Youtube and the internet, I'm almost as far as I wanted to be with three balls (I'm working on juggling laying on my back now) and I started 5 balls about three weeks ago and now I'm doing twenty catches every practice with a few drops here and there.

I wish I had a teacher, I started juggling in December 2010 and I could be on six balls by now if I had someone to teach me. Also, I probably have a poor technique that the likes of Jason Garfield would hang me for.
Jay Braggart
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
25 Posts

Profile of Jay Braggart
I first learned to juggle balls and clubs on my own, then learned to pass at a local juggling club. After a year of juggling I started getting weekly lessons from Alex Chimal for a a little over a year. That was money well spent.
HansBragart
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
13 Posts

Profile of HansBragart
I taught myself to juggle balls when I was 17. I then went to college the very next year, joined the Juggling & Unicycle Club where I learned to juggle rings, clubs, knives and torches as well as how to pass all of the above!

When Jay & I started taking lessons from Alex Chimal (http://www.chimalcircusarts.com/), I had been juggling for 10 years, but it felt like learning to ride a bike all over again because Alex taught me so much about form, posture and technique that I never would have gained by continuing to teach myself.

Some other fantastic people with whom I've worked at conventions have been Michaek Karas, Warren Hammond, Doug Sayers, Josh Horton, Mark Faje and Erin Stephens.
fingerflinger
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
57 Posts

Profile of fingerflinger
I first learned juggling in a local adult school. Bob Leith, owner of Gemini Juggling equipment, and editor of the IJA newsletter was the instructor. After that, I took some lessons from Larry Weeks. In the early 80's Judy Finelli (then Judy Burgess) and Fred Garbo, were teaching juggling in Brian Dube's loft in Manhattan. I learned some geat juggling from both of them. Tony Duncan, Lotte Brunn, helped me learn some juggling also. Shortly before I left the USA to perform in night clubs in Europe, I had some coaching sessions with Robert Peck. He gave me many creative suggestions, and helped choreograph a number of my juggling routines.
mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
51 Posts

Profile of mysticmelville
I remember trying for weeks and weeks to "get" 5 balls going and meeting a German juggler who was working for a crowd called Swamp Circus (from or based in Sheffield, UK) Anyway As I was struggling he came along and started juggling 7 balls in front of me.
He then preceded to give me 2 more balls (making my total now 7) I protested though he was insistent. "juggle 7 for two weeks" he said(the length of time the circus was in town)
I had juggling balls going everywhere for two weeks, though when I gave him his two balls back, I started to get 5 balls going in about 30 mins.
Was so delighted to get rid of the extras. Cant remember the guys name, but smart bloke I thought.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Like a few here, I originally learned from the Juggling Book by Carlo. I actually checked it out of my High School library, many times! Thankfully did not have to make the clubs though, by that time you could buy them.
danieltirado
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of danieltirado
I also studied with Dave finnigan, and was very complete one.
Hayden_Holmes
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Hayden_Holmes
It was Charlie Dancey's Encyclopaedia of Ball Juggling
Daniel Le Bateleur
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Daniel Le Bateleur
The Juggling Book by Carlo is what got me started.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Who is your #1 juggling teacher? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL