The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Steve Dobson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felix
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of felix
I have read his name in a few posts, and everybody who mentioned him said that he is a fantastic cardmagician, but that is basically all. So please tell me more about him. What kind of cardmagic does he?
Thanks in advance!

Yours Felix
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Steve Dobson is one of the top card workers in the States. I know Steve, and been to his house for late practice sessions. If you want to know what a inv. pass looks like, he has it. Come ot think of it, he has like 15 inv. passes. Frys me all lthe time. He is very underground, and he was actually a student of Vernons.

He is coming out with a book in the near future, don't miss it! Bill Malone knows him very well, and even uses some of his moves.

Peace

LiquidSn
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Steve surfaced at FFFF last year. I had met him many years ago at FFFF and then he disappeared for quite a few years. It's nice to see him back on the magic scene. I believe that he designed the cover art for one of Reed McClintock's items too.

His card work is outstanding. I got a few good shots of Steve's performance at FFFF in April 2003. If you'd like to see him, go to:

http://www.mallofmagic.com/ffff2003/04Sh01.htm. There might be some other shots of him in the bar if you dig around.

Mike
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I've known Steve for almost twenty years. He taught me my first pass and the diagonal palm shift.

If I had to tell you what he's "like" in a short sentence I'd say he reminds me of Michael Skinner. He's smooth like Skinnner and has the same quiet gentlemanly demeanor that Skinner had.

Regarding "but that is basically all" his coins across routine is one of the finest I've seen and his version of Sack dice routine is pretty fine too. Reed McClintock talked him into releasing it on a video they did together called The Ivory Connection. He also performs the Andrus Linking Pins and a bunch of other fine general close up.

The reason you've only heard about his card work is that that's what he uses to fry magicians and so that's what they talk about. When he's working for laymen he does a bunch of non-card material.

Here's a story that shows that he's a "real" magician.

One day after lunch we were paying our bill and he happened to ask the cashier how her shift was going. She said that it had been a very long day.

He smiled, said "This will cheer you up." and removed the end joint of his finger.

Her jaw hit the floor and she laughed out loud. He did card on forehead and we left. I think her day got better...
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
Mike
You will be seeing Steve again in October because he is going to be attending the Buffalo Get-Together this year.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I hope he's gotten the end joint of his finger sewn back on by Oct! Seems like a liability for a cardguy.

Mike
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Don't worry Mike... even without a finger he's better than most >G<

Just for those who might not "get it" when Steve removed the end joint from his finger it was his version of the hoary old removing the thumb gag...

Only as Steve does it (and when) it's a convincing illusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Steve Dobson (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL