The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A neat bit of casting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
There's a new biopic of Marilyn Monroe out. I forget the name. Anyway, evidently one of the characters in the film is Laurence Olivier (he once did a film with MM!).

The actor playing Lord Olivier in the film is Kenneth Branagh. Knowing the history of KB, it made me laugh out loud. Probably KB did too when he got the part!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Not all of us are film geeks to this level. What is it about Kenneth Branagh that would make it funny that he's playing Laurence Olivier?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Well, for one both, have directed and starred iconic film (and stage) versions of Hamlet

Unless there's something else I'm missing.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
KB has been consciously trailing the legend of Olivier all his life, wanting his mantel as the greatest Shakespearean actor ever. He was trained as a Shakespearean actor and his first breakthrough film was his version of Henry V which he starred in and directed. It was a wonderful performance and got Branagh great reviews and noticed worldwide as an actor. Why choose Henry V as his first Shakespeare film?--because Olivier had done exactly the same decades earlier--directing and starring in, and gaining worldwide notice for filming Henry V.

Their subsequent moves to Hollywood, their extraordinary versatility as actors, the marriages to actresses who would share with them the stage and screen, all point to career and life trajectories that are remarkably similar, though almost half a century apart.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
It's called "My Week with Marilyn"
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the title.

Fun facts to untangle:
KB directed the remake of the two-person mystery thriller Sleuth with Jude Law and Michael Caine.
The original movie also starred the young Michael Caine--but in the role that Jude Law played in the remake.
Michael Caine came to stardom in the movie Alfie--which was then remade starring . . . Jude Law.
And finally to bring this full circle, Michael Caine's part in the remake of Sleuth was played in the original film ... by Laurence Olivier.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Mel Gibson's Hamlet was way better.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I liked Gibson as Hamlet. Of course, anyone who's seen Lethal Weapon would expect that he could do a pretty good job of portraying a brooding, suicidal loner. If Prince Hamlet were a 20th century American cop, he'd be Martin Riggs.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Lethal Weapon was another one I really liked. The end fight between Gibson and Busey (or, as I call them, the Loony Two*) was choreographed by Rorion Gracie.

*Not a diagnosis
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-01 14:35, critter wrote:
Lethal Weapon was another one I really liked. The end fight between Gibson and Busey (or, as I call them, the Loony Two*) was choreographed by Rorion Gracie.

*Not a diagnosis

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm not a Mel Gibson fan, but I have to agree with you--his Hamlet was very good, and I don't think he ever got enough credit for that one. I think Olivier's Hamlet, as filmed, was excruciatingly boring.

Perhaps one day we'll do a best Hamlet thread--I vote for the stage performance of Nicol Williamson. It was later filmed, but not nearly as good. My favorite filmed Olivier performance, however, was Archie Rice, the failed music hall performer in The Entertainer. He took the part to prove that he was capable of portraying someone who wasn't royalty or upper class; his portrayal of a performer who is emotionally dead inside is absolutely haunting.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh. OK, I get it now. Very clever piece of researching.

BTW

If you're a real Shakespeare buff, this is an abomination. But it was funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9Ismh1elM&feature=related
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2011-12-01 15:21, landmark wrote:

Perhaps one day we'll do a best Hamlet thread--I vote for the stage performance of Nicol Williamson. It was later filmed, but not nearly as good. My favorite filmed Olivier performance, however, was Archie Rice, the failed music hall performer in The Entertainer. He took the part to prove that he was capable of portraying someone who wasn't royalty or upper class; his portrayal of a performer who is emotionally dead inside is absolutely haunting.

I'll vote for the Hamlet in The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged. They do it in 5 minutes. Then three. Then one. Then 30 seconds. Then 10 seconds. Very funny show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A neat bit of casting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL