The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A day for .......(you know) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
Hi everyone,

I'm getting better and better at 'A day for any.....

Can someone please tell me, though, how to respond to a spectator who says
in front of everyone: 'Are you using a calculation?'

granterg
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
No

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
I think it is all down to speed - if you can do it quickly enough, the spectator is unlikely to suspect calculation. If you look like you are calculating in your head, or you take more than about 6 seconds, then people are likely to suspect that you are using a formula.

Mike
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 04:17, kambiz wrote:
No

Kam

Logical and best answer so far!
What do you want to say except NO?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
W. Mercury
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of W. Mercury
If they asks such question, there could be two possible reasons.

1. They have absolutely NO idea and asking a silly question.
2. They really think you are using a calculation.

If it's the number two case, that probably means your presentation lead them to think that it is just a math trick.
just my 2 cents.

WJ
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Ability to perform it quickly and proper presentation will take care of this.
If you use something like Richard Osterlinds presentation, this will never come up.

Tony
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Use it as a reflective moment on mystery and the human mind hating not knowing how something works then smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Agreed with Tony, Osterlinds presentation is superb for this.
granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
I will be following Tony's advice to watch very closely Osterlind's presentation of the test.

I ordered the dvd set and look forward to watching it when I complete reading 13.

Thanks everyone, so far, for your thoughts.

granterg
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 13:30, granterg wrote:

I ordered the dvd set and look forward to watching it when I complete reading 13.
granterg

:):-) Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Good news for those who use any version of the "classic method" - 2012 is a zero year. This means that the day for any date in 2012 should be able to be determined in under two seconds. Watch out though - it is also a leap year.

Mike
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Paul Brook, in his book Chrysalis of a Polymath, describes 3 presentations that not only bring a reason to perform this, but also help justify any time needed to do the calculations.

He also has a couple of nice touches that keep the spectator thinking about you long after it's over! Chrysalis of a Polymath is a pretty good resource for the date routine all over. Paul even shows good uses for it as a small part of larger routines.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If it takes you a few seconds and someone asks are you calculating, a simple answer might be that you are running through calendars in your head, and it takes a few seconds to find the right page. After all, it is supposedly a memory feat, so that would work.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2011-12-05 04:29, Michael Daniels wrote:
Good news for those who use any version of the "classic method" - 2012 is a zero year. This means that the day for any date in 2012 should be able to be determined in under two seconds. Watch out though - it is also a leap year.

Mike

That depends on the system you're using. In the version I teach on my site, it's a "1" year (yes, always watch out for leap years!). For those who use the Doomsday system, it's simply a "Wednesday" year.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-06 12:27, Scott Cram wrote:
That depends on the system you're using. In the version I teach on my site, it's a "1" year (yes, always watch out for leap years!). For those who use the Doomsday system, it's simply a "Wednesday" year.

Ah yes - that's because your century codes are different by one from those which I think are more commonly used. I prefer a code of 0 for the 1900s (rather than 1) because most people have birthdays in that century and it simplifies these popular calculations.

Mike
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 03:40, granterg wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm getting better and better at 'A day for any.....

Can someone please tell me, though, how to respond to a spectator who says
in front of everyone: 'Are you using a calculation?'

granterg

Here's one idea: Learn a 4 by 4 magic square routine in which the spectator supplies you with 4 starting numbers (In many such routines, these numbers are usually placed either in a diagonal or along one row, such as the top row). One such routine available for free is Dr. Arthur Benjamin's Double Birthday Magic Square (PDF of an August 2006 M-U-M article, made available by the author).

Now, when someone asks you if you're using a calculation, you say, "It's more like a flash of inspiration. I really shouldn't show you this, but here's what's going on in my head when that happens..." (The "I shouldn't show you this, but..." helps draw them in, as if they're seeing something few others ever do). At this point, you bring out your grid, and use their birthday again, as if in explanation (alternatively, you could ask for a new day, but then they'll want to know the day of the week for that new date, too). Explain that this is how the numbers come into your mind, like in those "flash of inspiration" scenes from the movie A Beautiful Mind or the TV show Numb3rs. You then explain that when you see the individual numbers "fall together", the way they seem to fall together gives you the day in a way even you can't really explain!

If you do this with a grid on the back of your business card, you can let them keep it as a souvenir!

When you get any questions from the audience regularly, first ask yourself what kind of thinking that repeated question suggests. If it suggests a flaw in your routine, find a way to fix that flaw! If it suggests a desire to know more, maybe it's a good idea to develop another routine to answer that question! Getting that latter type of regular question from the audience means you've captured their curiosity, so take advantage of that!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A day for .......(you know) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL