The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Digging for objections (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I don't get every gig I pitch, of course. I often get a message that they decided to go in a different direction or that they won't be needing my services after-all (or some other vague response).

I'm totally fine with the fact that I'm not right for everyone. Every event, budget, and organizer preferences are different and I won't be perfectly aligned with everyone. I understand.

However, for pure educational and development purposes, I would love to know the real reason for all gigs that I do not close.

I wouldn't be offended if they didn't like me, my product, my price, whatever. In fact, I would feel grateful and extremely appreciative if they where straight with me regarding their reasons. That would be the kindest thing that someone could do for me. I would even respect their decision fully and not try to change their mind (but they don't know that). However, as readers this very forum can witness, far too many people react defensively to negative feedback (no prospect wants to get into this with someone who won't react well).

Do you ask for their reasons? I try to ask but never pursue it hard as it's really delicate and I don't want anyone to feel awkward. Any strategies you use? Problem comes in that they often email their decision (again, I'm sure to avoid personally connecting with you baring bad news).

I cannot help but think I would become unstoppable if I knew exactly the reason each time someone did not hire me.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree with your thoughts Scott, but I feel if we did learn of the true reasons for them not booing you, you would find the answers to be many and varied. One it may be due to price or budget, another for deciding to go with another type of entertainment or no entertainment, while another it might be be that they don't properly understand your type of entertainment, another because they went with someone else, and yet another may be completely something else.

I think it would be nice to know the real reasons, but I'm not sure it would be any single thing or two that could be adjusted to improve your close ratio. It would be nice to know though for personal reasons.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
A very thoughtful and intelligent posting, Scott.

Oddly enough, I don't get every show I go after either. Smile After I finish sobbing, wheedling and begging...I get curious as to why they didn't go with me. (Okay...I sob, wheedle and beg on the INSIDE...)

Seriously: I always ask why they didn't go with me. What do I have to lose, right? Often it's an issue of price -- which I understand. The client is sourcing entertainment and they will go with someone less expensive. SOME of the time, this objection can be overcome by explaining that you "get what you pay for."

In the cases where the client isn't flexible on price and they are determined to go with the less expensive performer, I'm okay with that because chances are it's not a good match between us anyway.

Often clients (or I suppose it's 'potential' clients) simply won't tell me...or won't tell me the truth. I don't press them because if I do, they will only get tense and defensive. They are lying or avoiding the truth precisely so that they won't have to deal with anything they view as unpleasant. (Which negates my clever "go to" sob/wheedle/beg strategy anyway...)

Sometimes they change their direction...sometimes they decide they are after something more conventional. Sometimes the committees don't think I am as good an idea as my client did...go figure. (This is why your printed/emailed materials have to be VERY good. You pitch the client in person...but they take their impressions to committees and sometimes it doesn't translate to a booking.)

There are two very clear "truths" here. The first: there's no way that you can even dream of overcoming their objection until you know what it REALLY is. (Sometimes clients say "no" when they're really saying "let's negotiate.")

The second VCT ('Very Clear Truth') is that it's not personal. Too many performers take each rejection to heart. It isn't personal...if you react personally to rejection, you are shooting yourself in the foot and marking yourself as a non-pro...or at least a performer they will NEVER want to deal with.

It's pure business. Either they see the value in your show for the dollars they invest or they don't.

In ANY case -- if a client turns me down and I have even the slightest suspicion that we might still work together on another event, I will ALWAYS get their name, number and the very best timing for another contact -- when they are working on their next event. That information goes into a database I've designed that is indexed by follow up date and I'll give them a call when they want me to.

I get a lot of subsequent bookings this way. Of course sometimes it's a second rejection...sigh...

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Scott,

You are one of the good guys here on the Magic Café.

While I totally understand where you're coming from, I wouldn't call clients and ask questions only because I think it hurts your positioning. To me, you never want to come across like you really need the work.

Gerry
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 23:58, Mindpro wrote:
I agree with your thoughts Scott, but I feel if we did learn of the true reasons for them not booing you, you would find the answers to be many and varied.

I agree. It would be nice to understand to know if there are specific trends and attempt to address them.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 04:27, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
you never want to come across like you really need the work.

Understood. There must be a way to phrase the question. After all, it's not really that I "need" the work (I do want the work) but, rather, just making sure that I am communicating myself effectively and allowing people to make decisions based upon the best information.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Thanks for the compliments to me thrown in the above posts. I like you guys too Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I don't think you call clients to ask questions AFTER they've turned you down. You ask the questions WHEN they turn you down. And it's not a question of looking like you need the work. It's a matter of market research. If the client has turned you down and you don't know why it's just good business sense to ask for the information.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
theinternetguru
View Profile
Elite user
I hacked the Café but I still only have
426 Posts

Profile of theinternetguru
I am not sure it's worthwhile worrying too much about this, as it is unlikely you would get a response that was specific and honest enough to make a real difference in your marketing approach. No harm in asking, but I wouldn't spend too much time sweating their response, whatever it is. It will not likely prove normative, and it might not be the complete picture. If you got a string of rejections, on the other hand, you could be missing something, and might need some help with your marketing. Asking about that might yield some insight, in such a case.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I agree with what the others said. You can also get some good sales books from the library to address that issue. I am not an expert on which books are the best, but I liked the one called Secrets of Question Based Selling. I bought it when I was a regular sales rep.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The time to dig out the objections is when you are in the sales process, and not when they tell you whether they are hiring you or not. You might be able to backtrack at that point, or you might not.

I learned quite a bit about uncovering (true) objections when I took the Dale Carnegie Sales Advantage Program years ago. That course was insightful. I thought I understood the sales process quite well, but I learned more.

In many cases, there are the objections that they tell you, and then there are the real objections. They might not even be able to vocalize their real objections until you uncover them a bit.

Also, be aware that some decisions are made by a committee, or with the input of others. In that case, you might not be able to uncover objections unless you can talk with everyone involved, and unless you understand the influence of everyone involved. In some cases, you don't talk to the decision-maker, but just an information-gatherer.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Like Donald said, there are the objections that they tell you, and then there are the real objections. Most people never tell you the real reasons they don't buy. Uncovering the real reason is an art that takes practice. I put salesmen off almost daily, simply because I don't want (and can't) buy everything offered. I must be seriously motivated to buy.

I want to share an email I just received about Bryan Flanagan. He is the Sales Ambassador and the Premiere Sales Trainer at Ziglar, Inc. I recommend his new book, "So You’re New to Sales."

"""Most prospects don’t take action until they are in enough “pain” to change their current situation. In other words, the prospects’ proverbial light bulbs are not fully illuminated. They may have some discomfort; they may have some pain. But they are not hurting enough to discontinue using the incumbent competitor and switch to your company. Perhaps this story will illustrate the point.

Two West Texas ranchers were talking one afternoon. The visiting rancher noticed his friend’s dog lying on the porch. The dog was moaning. He asked, “Why is your dog moaning?” The answer, “Well, he’s lying on a nail. But he’s not in enough pain to move!”

Until your prospect is in “enough pain to move” (to take action), the prospect will not change and will not agree to buy your product or service. Your challenge, as a sales professional, is to uncover the prospect’s pain. In order to achieve this, you must assist the prospect in becoming aware of the existing needs, the existing “pain.” This is achieved by asking appropriate questions.

The questions are intended to move the prospect from being in an “ache position” to a “pain position.” Once the prospect is in pain, your chances of winning the business are increased. This week ask focused questions to get your prospect in a position to change."""

Like I said, this article is an excerpt from the book, "So You’re New to Sales."

Tom
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
The difficultly comes in that I present to a committee rep, the decision goes to committee, then I get an email back with the decision ("We decided to go in another direction"). No opportunity to hear what is going on in their minds.

Saying this, I do agree with what has been said.
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Hi Scott,

This is a question that I've pondered a few times as well. As Mindpro said, it's very possible that the answers would be unique and varied. With that in mind, it's also possible that you would get some very good feedback. I think that WHEN they turn you down is a great time to inquire as to why. I always ask clients if it will be okay to keep in touch for the next year, and schedule a follow up in my ACT! database. Sometimes they really want us, but it takes hiring somebody that's "just okay" for them to see that they need to increase their budget for next year. And when that happens, we should be there for them and ready to roll.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I always try to get to the bottom of why I've been turned down. Several times I've been able to actually book the show by offering a cheaper alternative, ie strolling magic, shorter show etc. I think its always worth asking. As a matter of fact, I just booked a show for December 2012 simply because I asked if the client would be interested in booking another time.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Bets book on this subject doubt anyone will by it though. Its called: "You Can't Teach A Kid To Ride A Bike At A Seminar." This book will open your eyes and eliminate the objections.

Very easy quick read too!
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
This is a great topic. Everyone is always fascinated with "the one that got away". I often think about how busy I would be if I closed every gig that inquired.
I trained sales people for a long time, 15 years, uncovering the objection is the second most difficult thing to do, next to asking for the sale in the first place. Last year I started to work on finding out why I wasn't booked at every gig here's what I did.

If I actually got a call I would I would first let them know that I heard what they said. Then ask a very specific, direct question to get the conversation going.

"Oh, Karen what a shame I was really looking forward to working with your group. What was the deciding factor? was it the price?"

Then you need to listen to what they say next. They may stone wall you and just repeat the answer which means they really don't want to tell you or they just fess up. Either way you need to ask another question to keep the conversation going the more they talk the better your chances of finding out. Most importantly know when to quit. I start with price because it will be easier for them to tell you about the budget than it will be for them to tell you that the board president thinks magician's are stupid.

If they send me an email I just send them and email worded almost the same way. I just add a little part about trying to improve and asking for their help. I think people are willing to help one another and are more likely to respond.

"Thanks for your email Karen that is a shame I was really looking forward to working with your group. Would you be willing to help me? I am always trying to improve the service I provide my clients. Can you tell me the deciding factor? was it the price?"

All of this depends on the rapport you have built with the client. If you have good rapport with them the will tell you if not then they won't.
For me 80% of the time if I am speaking with them they tell me. I get about 50% of emails answered.
Guess what it is not always the price. The interesting thing is that most of the time it comes down to the person who is selling you to the group. You have spoken to that person and sold them on the idea but if they have no ability to sell it back to their group you lose! So I stared to coach them a little, as much as I can.
I give them some words and phrases to use and not use. It definitely helps.

You have to remember that knowing is one thing but the real question is what are you going to do with the information. If they say it's the price are you going to lower your fee? It would be wise to offer different levels of service. That way you are not just lowering your price but offering something different, shorter show etc.

The bottom line for me is that it is interesting info but it is a backward looking exercise. You aren't really going to turn around that many prospects no matter how much pain you put them in.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
Mister Jazzz
View Profile
New user
Texas
24 Posts

Profile of Mister Jazzz
I do something similar to Steve, however, I apologize before I ask.

"I really need to apologize to you for not being able to come to terms with you. Can I ask, was it something I did? Was it something I failed to do?"

Before committee's etc: I always ask, "How do you justify making this type of decision?"

I'm sure that are a lot of pro's here that can see how and why I word it this way. I always start off apologizing, because, like it or not I did fail them. That and I've never had anyone say it was something I did Also, I don't mention price right off the bat, I'd rather let them bring it up and then see what happens. Even if the president thinks magicians are stupid. That's nice to know and I will know that next time.

James
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Make the request via e-mail, thank them for considering your services, ask in a tone that has no accountability, make it easy for them to reply, and give them something in return for replying . Something like this;

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank-You for considering Scott Burton's entertainment services for your upcoming event.

For marketing purposes, can you please select one of the following options for opting out of the service;

a) Not in price range
b) Services don't meet requirement
c) Chose other entertainment

For replying, I would like to offer 'The Complete Guide for Planning Your Private Event', a $20 value, yours free for replying.

Thank-You,
Scott

Obviously you will need to cover as many possible reasons they would turn down your services, and offer something of such great value that would make it hard to refuse, but that's the jist of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Digging for objections (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL