The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Performing at Senior Center (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scalito
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of scalito
I'll be performing at a senior center tomorrow at a Christmas luncheon. This is a poor economic area and the center gives people a place to go to be active. The way I look at it, I want to do some type of volunteer work so I might as well do it at something I enjoy.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I think you looking at it the right way. In my area your lucky to get much, if any money for shows at Senior Centers, Nursing or retirerment homes. I know they will enjoy your show. I see the show is today, I hope all goes well for you and everyone has a good time.
Bob.
scalito
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of scalito
The show went great and everyone was amazed (if I do say so myself!). The best part was how thankful people were as opposed to some shows with nothing but skeptics. Anyway, I'd recommend playing a senior's center to anyone.
alexon
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of alexon
Scalito, can you tell us what tricks that you actually did? Did you do them for individual tables or for one audience? What tricks do you think are good for senior centers? alexon
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
My wife volunteers on a weekly bases at a senior's home. Having just added to my "kit" this Christmas, she is now asking me to come do a "show" for the seniors. I too would be very grateful to hear the answer to Alexon's question "What do you think worked best for them?" Also - anything "not work"?

Thanks

Rik
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 16:31, scalito wrote:
The show went great and everyone was amazed (if I do say so myself!). The best part was how thankful people were as opposed to some shows with nothing but skeptics. Anyway, I'd recommend playing a senior's center to anyone.

I couldn't agree with you more! I'm not a pro, but I've had fun with my magic collection by doing shows for seniors just like the one you did. Nursing homes too. They are SO appreciative of what you do, it's just as good as getting paid as far as I'm concerned. I'm retired and I don't do the magic for the money, just for the enjoyment of performing and giving these folks some happiness.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 16:34, Capt.Hook wrote:
My wife volunteers on a weekly bases at a senior's home. Having just added to my "kit" this Christmas, she is now asking me to come do a "show" for the seniors. I too would be very grateful to hear the answer to Alexon's question "What do you think worked best for them?" Also - anything "not work"?

Thanks

Rik

Works:
Mingle with them as they dribble in to the show area, doing closeup so they get to know you a little

Vanishing coke bottle
Die Box
Vanishing Bandana
Mis made Flag
Pom Pom Pole
Dove pan to make candy as a handout.....this works great!
Lota bowl running gag (or smaller version using a whiskey flask prop)

Doesn't work:

Mentalism (simple book tests are ok for senior centers, but not in nursing homes)
Sophisticated card tricks
Long routines....you'll lose their interest

Just a few thoughts from my own limited experience.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
On 2012-01-01 17:52, Bob1Dog wrote:

Works:
Mingle with them as they dribble in to the show area, doing closeup so they get to know you a little

Vanishing coke bottle
Die Box
Vanishing Bandana
Mis made Flag
Pom Pom Pole
Dove pan to make candy as a handout.....this works great!
Lota bowl running gag (or smaller version using a whiskey flask prop)

OK - this will tell you how new I am - the only one of those I "think" I know is the bandana - are you referring to the thumb tip?

I just did a show for my extended family - down in PA for Christmas

- the Chop Cup - went really well
- two jacks and a queen (and joker) - went well
- thumb tip - went really well
- a couple of card tricks - went good
- 3D bunnies - was really the best of the bunch!!!
- red sponge balls - OK

Thanks for your info - now I have some new ones to look for

Rik
Magic Rik

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I think your list is just fine...the thumb tip is so versatile, it works for everyone. I don't do sponge balls because my dexterity isn't that good at 64 and cards aren't my bag either. I like doing kids shows and seniors, so mostly larger illusions work best for me.

The items I mentioned above are classics for the most part and you can find them by googling each one. But the must- have there is the die box, commonly called a sucker die box. It works great for all crowds. There are dozens of varieties and qualities from cheap to very expensive. The effect is that you place a die (as in dice) into a box that's wide enough for two of them. Then you play with the audicnece, moving the die back and forth in the box and asking them where the die is. They always pick the wrong one, and the fun of this trick is that they think they know what you are doing, when at the end of all the byplay, you reveal the box to be empty. and produce it from anywhere in the room you want to.

Good luck!

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
PS....The vanishing bandana is not a thumb tip routine.....I misread your question and thought you used a thumb tip....in any event, the bandans is just plain fun and easy to do. But you need to play a dvd, so you need a compact player as well. With the bandana routine, you basically vanish a whole banana, but have a lot of fun with the audience while doing it.

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
OK - Now Linda tells me she wants me to go to the Nursing Home this coming Monday.

And, I don't even have a "magic table". I have an old brief case I can make into a magic box, maybe put it on a chair.

Getting scary.
Magic Rik

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Oh boy - what do I wear?

This will be the first "real performance" (other than family and friends)
Magic Rik

DavidLevitan
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of DavidLevitan
Look neat and clean. What you wear is not so important. Being friendly and chatty is king for seniors
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
David - good advice - I'll save the "pirate's costume for the grand kids.
Magic Rik

whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Capt. Hook good luck on your upcoming performance. I recommend starting off with the effects you feel most confident performing. This will allow you an opportunity to get comfortable in the setting. Most importantly, enjoy yourself as you share your magic and those watching will as well. Good luck and have fun.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Mr. Dog, Gotta be careful saying "dribble" regarding seniors in ANY way! ; )
TH

Occupy Your Dream
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Quote:
On 2012-01-03 17:38, Bob1Dog wrote:I don't do sponge balls because my dexterity isn't that good at 64 and cards aren't my bag either. I like doing kids shows and seniors, so mostly larger illusions work best for me.

Yikes! I turn 65 in 9 days! I can't see that I've lost any dexterity (not that I ever had a lot). (I'm a newbie with no years of experience behind me, so I can't say if I'd been any better 50 years ago - but I still type as well as I ever did, which seems to indicate that I haven't lost any finger dexterity yet.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Performing at Senior Center (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL