The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Frustrating! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
OK well earlier this week I posted about my dove flying back, and her not doing so.. LOL..

I was told to make her face you.. the toss her from one hand to the other and get farther and farther away. Because when she gets tossed out during a show, she is then in turn looking for you to perch. Now I was doing a perfect job tossing her away from me and just moving my finger farther and farther away from my body. Which method would be the correct, or simplest way. Shes a young dove.. maybe two or three months?..

Thanks in advance,
Justin David Smile
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Justin, you have to take it in steps. Let the dove jump or fly from one hand to the other. Start at a short distance and gradually separate the hands. You should spend about a week at each interval. Eventually, the dove will seem to fly from hand to hand on it's own without you doing a tossing motion.

Once the distance is about 3 feet, start tossing her in an arc. Difficult to explain but have the bird sitting with it's tail facing the rear. Gently toss it out slightly left or right depending on which hand you are tossing from or which way you want the dove to turn. It will come back. Having the bird face you when you toss it out is awkward and you wouldn't be doing an effect with it in this position anyway.

Total training by the way will take about 6 weeks.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Thanks for the great advice.. I guess I had it wrong, but now I will improve. Shes still a goofball when it comes to flying lol.. shes likes to crash.

Take it easy,
Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
How much should you pratice with them? how many minutes?
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Attach the dove's invisible dove harness to a humming bird reel.

-just kidding. I'd only work with the birds for about five tosses. You can tell when the bird gets tired and you don't want to overwork them.

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hard to define the number of minutes to practice. Each bird is different but the key, as Dan said is not to tire them out.
Let them perch on your finger for awhile, carry them around with you. Stroke their feathers from head to tail. Do a few tosses. You'll know when they've had enough tossing. Breathing becomes heavier and they will start to drop a little instead of flying to the other hand. As time goes by, the length of actual tossing time gets longer as they get stronger.
I work with each of my birds for 15 minutes minimum each day even if only to hold them on my finger.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Frustrating! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL