The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magnet Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
If I have two neodymium magnets (for example the M5 magnets) and stack them together would that increase the magnetic pull?

Is it recommended to store neodymium magnets attached to steel or does it matter?

How can someone determine which side is positive verses negative pole and when it comes to reed switches does it really matter?
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Although I may be wrong:

1. Yes
2. I don't think it matters. I store mine attached to each other.
3. Absolutely no earthly clue.

Not much help, I know.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
#3 -http://www.magnetsales.com/Design/FAQs_frames/FAQs_2.htm
About 5 or 6 up from the bottom, I think.

Ed
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
#2 It doesn't matter as Ekuth sais. Just don't heat your magnets (above 175 °F) and they will last you a lifetime. So store in a cool, dry place (next/attached to other magnets is OK) and you'll be fine.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 16:17, rowdymagi5 wrote:

How can someone determine which side is positive verses negative pole and when it comes to reed switches does it really matter?

... it doesn't matter!
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I just ordered a bunch of magnets for some tricks that I have been developing including 1/8" neodymium spheres that I had wanted to conceal in fimo clay. I was concerned about baking the fimo for the reason stated above but the fimo stuff is usually baked at 175°F. Think it would be safe?

Also, the magnet vendor (Apex) did have some devices to determine the poles of a magnet but, like the others asked, why does it matter?
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Joe, push the magnet into the Fimo, then pop it out (without messing up the clay). Bake it. Then, put the magnet back in the hole and make a plug of Fimo to cover the piece. Then carefully pick out the plug, bake it. Now, simply assemble the magnet in the piece, and epoxy the plug into place. I just looked up at your post again. You say 1/8" beads/balls? Yeah, stick with what I said, it may be a little tedious with lots of little balls, but I don't know what you're making.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Thanks! I'm creating magnetic breath mints so they're tiny. If I make several at once, though, it should be worth the effort. I was just wary of baking them even at a low temp like 175.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Joe, I figured it out for you. PM for details. Ah, heck.... I'm excited, expect my PM
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 14:24, that'sJustWrong! wrote:

the magnet vendor (Apex) did have some devices to determine the poles of a magnet but, like the others asked, why does it matter?

Magnet polarity doesn't matter with reed switches, but does matter with other devices, like Hall Effect sensors. Hall Effect sensors are solid state, have no moving parts, are quite small, and have some advantages over reed switches in certain applications.

Many folks already own an inexpensive device that will accurately determine the polarity of a magnet: a compass. The "N" on the compass pointer will be attracted to a magnet's South pole.

Ross
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magnet Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL