The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best way to make homemade card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ptwaugh
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of ptwaugh
Hi,

I want to make a custom card from two by basically gluing the corner cut from one card on another. So, for example placing the corner from a 2 of clubs on and A of spades so that with a thumb over the corner the spectator sees the A of spades, but with the corner visible they see the 2 of clubs.

What is the best way to do this and make it undetectable when the corner is shown when the cards are fanned? Is there a "best shape" to cut the corner? A way to minimize the visibility of the edge? Other suggestions?

Patrick
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Get Martini's Art of Card Splitting DVD - it's lays out everything you're looking for and is very informative. Making a card like you describes might take a few tries, but you should be up and running in no time.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Card splitting is one way to go about this. A second way is to print the cards yourself or have them printed. A third way is to buy a deck of common gaffs which would contain mis-indexed cards for monte type routines.

• For card splitting do as Sam suggests and get the Art of Card Splitting DVD. Lots of great info there
  • To have the cards professionally printed you can avail yourself of Card-Shark's services: http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=34&lang=en and you'll get professionally printed cards that look great without the seams. Each card costs a few bucks but the results are worth it.
  • To print them yourself, refer to Chris Wasshuber's guide: http://www.lybrary.com/make-your-playing-cards-a-11.html If you're wanting to do a large run of cards or start making your own custom gaff decks this is a great option.
  • You can also buy pre-packaged gaff cards that contain monte gaffs as well as many other gaffs. Popular options include the CAJ deck, Magic Maker's "Blue Deck" and Ellusionist red and blue gaffed bicycle decks.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Could you really make an Ace/Two card like this by card splitting?

I can see making a double face or something but how would you hide the work on an Ace/Two?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-06 22:38, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Could you really make an Ace/Two card like this by card splitting?

I can see making a double face or something but how would you hide the work on an Ace/Two?

Yes.

With precision.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
http://www.magicbycardmaker.com//mediapo......LE28.jpg

Not a mis-indexed card; but similar.
Not printed, no photoshop.
Precisison - as tomsk192 said.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I learned something today.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Cardmaker

Wow, that's what craftmanship looks like! For us DIY guys it's a fun craft, but when you really need professional work always go to a professional.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thoroughly recommend Cardmaker- his work is absolutely superb.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I haven't bought anything from Cardmaker yet, but the sample pictures do justice and look very superb.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Quote:
On 2012-01-06 09:33, Big Sam wrote:
Get Martini's Art of Card Splitting DVD - it's lays out everything you're looking for and is very informative. Making a card like you describes might take a few tries, but you should be up and running in no time.

Sam

Also Martini will make the cards for you his web site is http://www.martinismagic.com/

Best
Leo Jr
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Yup, bought some cards from Martini, superb service and top notch products.

It all depends on what kind of cards you're looking for. Simple DB, you can do it yourself referring to his DVD. Or buy it from him.

For more unique gaff cards, split faces for example, you might want to buy from Cardmaker due to its natural look.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best way to make homemade card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL