The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Helping hand wanted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
OK - I live out "east" and don't live where the cool Magic stores are. I am a fairly new "magician". I grew up in Victoria on the Left Coast and I think there was a Victoria Trick and Joke Shop (which I think is now Murray's Trick & Joke Shop). Sorry, I'm rambling ...

I am going to be in Toronto on Friday March 2nd. I have meetings from 6 pm Friday until my plane leaves Sunday afternoon. I normally would fly into YYZ in time to have supper and go to the meetings.

But! If there is someone who wants to visit a Magic Store (or two) and would not mind hanging out for a few hours, I could catch an earlier plane in. I'm a retired guy who comes to Toronto twice a year for a volunteer organization.

Send me a PM if this might work.

Thanks

Rik
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Hi Rik,

You might have your PM shut off as I couldn't find it on your profile, so I'll put this in the public forum.

I live in Ontario, but not near Toronto. Toronto has 2 great magic shops, Morrissey Magic and the Browsers Den. If you can get to either (or both since they're not far apart) it would be worth the visit.

As to someone to hook up with, there are at least two IBM rings in Toronto. The oldest ring, and the one that meets regularly, is the Hat and Rabbit Club or Sid Lorainne Ring. You can contact the president of that ring, Bob Taylor here: roberttaylor@pathcom.com Bob is a great guy and he may be able to find someone who would like to hang out with an out of town magician if no one from the Toronto area answers your post.

All the best and enjoy your visit.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Thanks RJ - funny about the PM - I have received two already about something else.

If I get no other response I'll check with the IBM group.
Magic Rik

Jeff Hinchliffe
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, ON Canada
280 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hinchliffe
Rik,

Feel free to drop by The Browser's Den while you're in town. I work there 5 days a week (and will be there on March 2nd). We'll hang and jam.
Pick a card, any card...
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
See, I told ya they're worth the trip!

Rik, Did you get that PM thing figured out yet? When someone goes to your profile, there should be an option there of "Send a private messge" or something worded to that effect. This option seems to be missing on your profile when I look.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Rik, I am originaly from Truro, N.S., moved up about 5 years ago. Unfortuanately I am tied up March 2nd, but you will have a great time hanging out at Browser's Den. Very comfortable shop with a big table and chairs to chill out. Jeff is a very friendly, talented magician with a wealth of knowledge. His boss (Old Jeff) is a great guy and loves to demo items.

Cheers,

John
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 16:58, RJE2 wrote:
,,, the president of that ring, Bob Taylor ...

What am I? Chopped liver?
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
But both magic shops are great, close together and most importantly, just off of the same highway as YYZ.
James Alan

RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Sorry James. I just went on the web site and saw Bob's contact info.

Soooooo, at the risk of sounding uninformed, who are you and what do you do with the Hat and Rabbit Club?
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
No one really. I was only kidding.
James Alan

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Thanks - a bunch of replies.

1 - I will not have transportation
2 - If I can figure how to get there I'll come to both stores
3 - I have had four PMs, so, something must be working.
4 - maybe between now and that weekend in March a benefactor might show up.

Again - thanks one and all.

Rik
Magic Rik

DrSammy
View Profile
New user
Greater Toronto Area
52 Posts

Profile of DrSammy
Rik,

Don't let Mr. Alan fool you. He's the current president of Ring 17.

Regarding a visit to both stores, you should know that they are now located on the same street. If you can get to one, it's very easy to get to the other.

Also, if you decide to go to the shops, the Browser's Den has a magic club meeting on the first Saturday of every month. From their website:

"MAGIC CLUB: Ages 12 and up. We meet here at the shop on the first Saturday of each month from 2:30pm until 4:30pm. There is no cost to attend. All that we ask is that you are serious about improving your skills and are interested in talking magic with like-minded magicians. "

There's usually no agenda to these meetings, but if you're looking to hang out with others who like the art it's a good time to go.

Sammy
Many an ancient lord's last words had been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh." -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Aaah. Sorry James.

When I looked at the web site, it had Bob as the president of Ring 17 and I knew he was president recently, so assumed he still was.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 16:17, DrSammy wrote:
Also, if you decide to go to the shops, the Browser's Den has a magic club meeting on the first Saturday ... from 2:30pm until 4:30pm.

Thanks Sammy - the people who are flying me in expect me to be in Meetings from about 6 pm Friday until about 1400 on Sunday. SO, as much as I would love to go to that meeting, I am kind of stuck.

Thanks
Magic Rik

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Coming to Toronto, it looks like I could get a flight that got me to YYZ at 1236. The hotel is the Delta Hotel Toronto Airport West at 5444 Dixie Rd. From the hotel. can I catch a city bus and get to either shop and back? Or is that too much Magic to ask for?

Rik
Magic Rik

dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
191 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 15:09, Capt.Hook wrote:
The hotel is the Delta Hotel Toronto Airport West at 5444 Dixie Rd. From the hotel. can I catch a city bus and get to either shop and back? Or is that too much Magic to ask for?

All I know is that Google tells me you have at least one transfer, and that the trip by bus will take 1 hour 20 minutes or so. Your hotel is reasonably far west, so even a trip by car would take 20 minutes.

Since I don't live in Toronto, possibly I should stay quiet.
I formerly ran a site of links to help Canadian magicians, magicinfo.ca, but I retired it in 2022.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
DG - No need to stay quite - I appreciate the feedback

Thanks
Magic Rik

insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
There are only two magic stores in Toronto, I would go to Morrissey Magic over The Browser's Den. More selection and Dan will do anything to make a sale.. So if you buy a number of items he will give you a deal. I always struggle with parking when I go to Browser's,, just sayin
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Both shops are great no doubt. Insidetheeye sounds like you have not been to the new Browser's Den, they now have tons of free parking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Helping hand wanted (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL