The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Grace Thurston's Bio of Howard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I was re-reading Billy McComb's review of _My Magic Husband; The Great Thurston_ by Grace Thurston as printed in the February, 1986 GENII on page 539. Billy ends his review with the statement: "Phil Temple has had the thing well duplicated but I'm sorry to see a rather objectionable photograph of the respected magician on the rear cover." Billy didn't specify what exactly he found objectionable in the photo. I'm looking at the rear cover now and it shows a picture of Thurston seated at a table apparently building a house of cards. The only thing I see in the photo that I feel could be construed as objectionable is Thurston with his foot on what looks to be a leopard skin rug, which the PETA folks might object to. You can see the rear cover photograph at
http://media.photobucket.com/image/%252B......ERY2.jpg

Is there something else in the picture that Billy found objectionable?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Which Thurston book had Howie giving the five finger salute on the back cover? That was a funny to me.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
SJMiller
View Profile
New user
East Tennessee
61 Posts

Profile of SJMiller
Perhaps it is the cigar is Thurston's left hand that he found objectionable.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
The original softbound edition had a picture of Thurston "thumbing his nose" at the camera. From people I've talked to over the years who knew him (particularly Dorny) Thurston was a fun guy to be around. Very different than the serious master magician image he conveyed on stage.

Read Jim Steinmeyer's Thurston book for the best story of his life.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
He sounded like a ****er to be around, except I wouldn't want to have shaken his hand. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Grace Thurston's Bio of Howard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL