The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Encouraging mid-week bookings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
How do you try to get more mid-week bookings? A couple of years ago I tried the simple discount idea but it didn't really make any difference so I stopped offering it. However I may try it again offering a bigger discount and pushing/marketing it a bit more.

Any other ideas?

Mark
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Are you so heavily booked in the weekend that you honestly can't squeeze more shows in and are losing them? If not, then don't worry about it.

Unless they've specifically seen YOU and only want YOU and are willing to restructure their whole event around YOU and your availability, they won't want to do a midweek party, it's as simple as that.

Take them as they come and be grateful for them, they're gravy. In my opinion you can't do much to get more of them.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I agree with Futureal exactly. Why burn yourself out at both ends trying to work every single day? I've heard other so called 'big' entertainers suggest working the day-care market and doing 400 shows a year. The question I then ask is why?

I earn quite a nice living working primarily at weekends only. That doesn’t mean I don’t work during the week, it only means I don’t go looking for it. What would be the point?

As soon as you earn above the tax bracket, half of every show you do goes to the tax-man. At which point, you have to ask yourself if its worth doing those extra shows at half your normal fee?

Another thing to think about is losing your voice. More shows = more stress which will make you ill. Then you have the additional work of answering the phone four times as much as you are doing now, and turning even more shows away because they only wanted the weekend. You try and push them to the mid-week, but 90% of the time, all that extra work you did to try and promote a midweek show simply results you telling even more people you are already booked at weekend and you spend half your live having the exact same conversation on the phone.

If you’re at a place in your marketing where you can quite easily support yourself and demand a fee that gets repeat work. Then be happy with weekend shows.

But, to answer your question - dare care centres and schools are key markets at Christmas, Easter, Halloween and end of school terms. Many of us (me included) have educational shows based around reading and healthy eating. You can promote those shows.
Other entertainers do magic and / or circus skills workshops. There are numerous posts on this forum about setting up your own theatre show and selling tickets for the event, and promoting it at schools. Some entertainers even work with schools and put on a free show in the school at the evening in order to get BOR sales while the school gets the door money.

Then, you can try street busking. Magic is a difficult thing to do on the streets (but not impossible) so when I did it, I did primarily balloon modelling and made enough to make it worthwhile (but no-where near the same amount I would have got from a paid show).

Then you could do close-up magic. Is there a ‘magic bar’ near you that you can work at?

There are ways of getting mid-week work. But its takes an awful lot of advertising and work at home to get it, and eventually many of us decide it’s simply not worth it and become content with what the weekend provides us.

Steve
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
In the US we have day care, and senior citizen communities for mid week bookings.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
George, I have it on my website that there is a discount for midweek bookings. When someone asks me the price on the phone I quote the price - then immediately add that there is a discount for Monday to Friday. Most people are committed to the weekends, but many are willing to think again. I often get people switching to Friday for the discount.

As for day care centres, that might be a market in the UK and USA, but not over here. I have tried schools with a science show, but budgets have been slashed since the country went bankrupt. So I will continue discounting birthdays.

As for working every day, I love it when it happens. It pays for holidays! I once (back in the good old days) went nine weeks without a single day off. Most of those days (seven days a weeks) had two gigs. I would love a summer like that again. It would sort out a lot of bills.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
One might borrow things from other retailers. This time of year, in my area Papa John's Pizza has a lower price for their large any topping pizza.

I also agree with branching outm though I can only take day time bookings when school is out.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
An earlier thread on this exact topic, for additional ideas.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 05:15, Futureal wrote:
Are you so heavily booked in the weekend that you honestly can't squeeze more shows in and are losing them?

Yes!
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 08:22, ku7uk3 wrote:

There are ways of getting mid-week work. But its takes an awful lot of advertising and work at home to get it, and eventually many of us decide it’s simply not worth it and become content with what the weekend provides us.

Steve

Thanks for your thoughts, Stephen. However I have a mortgage, 2 small children and a wife that doesn't understand the meaning of "frugal"! Smile

Thanks for the thread, Donald.

Mark
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
First of all, if you are that busy on the weekends, perhaps it's time to raise your fees (10% or so).

As far as getting more midweek bookings, you need to market to places that can hire you during the week (daycares, schools, resorts, assisted living facilities, special needs facilities, etc).

Mentioning that there is a discount during the week only works once in a while, but that's a few more shows than you would have had.

I just recently sent out an email blast to my list offering a weekday shows for a special rate. I got two bookings out of it. Again 2 more shows that I probably wasn't going to get.

I know that some performers also offer a magic show for birthday at schools (the parent has to get permission from the teacher or school). I've never tried it but it could work.

Finally I will mention a DJ in my area that charges one rate for Saturdays and 50% off for any other day. Not sure how well it works out, but they have a very successful business.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 08:46, Al Angello wrote: In the US we have day care, and senior citizen communities for mid week bookings.
Al is right. Most senior communities are willing to book mid-week. Their budgets are super-tight, so there's a built-in discount implied. Smile You might try restaurant work as well. Table hopping with pocket magic and balloons sells well in the US. I don't do balloons, but restaurants seem to think they need something to occupy the kids while waiting for the meal, and magic fits. Pick up a book on restaurant magic and start marketing. I target restaurants for Monday-thru Thursday. Friday thru Sunday, I save for prime time.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I find there is a lot of mid-week work to be had at schools, daycares, etc. And plenty of Birthday parties, too....most parents will at least consider a weekday Birthday party if their entertainer of choice is unavailable at the weekend. The key, surely, is to be in great demand? Which comes from offering the best shows you can.
I agree with Steve that too many shows can wear you out....for me, four at the weekend, and a couple mid-week is the most I ever really want. If I really want to earn more money than that provides (six shows a week gives a very healthy income), I choose to do so through other avenues.
Doug
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Your so booked and can't take anymore shows, But more people keep on calling you??

Doing atleast 8 every weekend?

Want to make more money?

Simple problem to fix...

RAISE YOUR PRICES
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I agree with Al as well. Daycares / school shows are the way to get weekday bookings. If youre trying to get weekday birthday parties....well, the problem with that is that first there would have to BE birthday parties held on weekdays, and 90% of them are scheduled on Sat. / Sun.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 01:38, The Mighty Fool wrote:
I agree with Al as well. Daycares / school shows are the way to get weekday bookings. If youre trying to get weekday birthday parties....well, the problem with that is that first there would have to BE birthday parties held on weekdays, and 90% of them are scheduled on Sat. / Sun.

If 90% of birthdays are held on weekends, that still leaves 10% to shoot for. Better that money in my pocket than not.
Also, daycares and schools might be a market in the USA. Not over here.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 07:17, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 01:38, The Mighty Fool wrote:

If 90% of birthdays are held on weekends, that still leaves 10% to shoot for. Better that money in my pocket than not.
Also, daycares and schools might be a market in the USA. Not over here.

Like the idea of discounts on the weekdays. I went on your website and can't find any mention of your discount offer.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 08:46, Al Angello wrote:
In the US we have day care, and senior citizen communities for mid week bookings.

Al’ I am almost 100% certain that the UK also has day care for children , and senior's in senior citizen communities for mid week bookings as well.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-01-22 19:08, Howie Diddot wrote:
Al’ I am almost 100% certain that the UK also has day care for children , and senior's in senior citizen communities for mid week bookings as well.

Buzz,like yourself I am not based in the UK. I find it odd that you can be so sure the market exists there when those living in the UK say it doesn't. I know in Ireland we do not have day care for children. Certainly not in the sense that it exists throughout Europe and in the States. We also don't have senior citizen communities. People live in their own homes until disability overcomes them, then they end their days in nursing homes. Nursing homes do not hire entertainment on a regular enough basis to expect more than one or two gigs a year.
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
I as a rule can only fit in 4 kids parties a weekend as here in the uk most (not all) do the 2 hour show.
11 to 1 and 3 to 5 this gives me time to packup/setup and travel up to an hour to the next party. In the summer I allso do a theme park show fri/sat 8.15 to 9
So to get fully booked at the weekend is the norm (again not always) as I'm only trying to get 2 a day not 8!
So that's the way I go and you find a lot of mums will do aftee school parties cos you are already booked at the weekend and wont you!
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Encouraging mid-week bookings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL