The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » JEFF HINCHLIFFE NEW LECTURE ‘OVER – EASY': (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
From the Browser's Den e-Bulletin:

"So how about warm yourself up with the company of other magicians and join us for JEFF HINCHLIFFE’S upcoming ‘Over - Easy’ Lecture.
The lecture turns out to be the same day as our next monthly Magic Club Meeting. You can make a day of it by joining others who attend the club and then stay for Jeff’s Lecture.
JEFF HINCHLIFFE NEW LECTURE ‘OVER – EASY: Many of you know Jeff Hinchliffe as a card man…a very good and respected card man. A magician or should I write cardician who really knows how to handle cards and have them dance around effortlessly and produce magic.
BUT ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? Are you really ready?
Okay…Then….Jeff will be giving a Two-Hour Plus lecture on EASY TRICKS. That’s right the material that Jeff will be performing and explaining are tricks that you can master right away.
I know it’s a shock. Jeff has been holding back on a lot of wonderful but unbelievably effective easy to do tricks. Tricks that he has shared with only a select few. These are easy tricks yet you will want to perform them in shows.
And these tricks are filled with subtleties and nuances to create mind bending magic. Heck, your audience does not have to know they are easy.
We hope to see you there!
Date of Lecture-Saturday, February 4 at 7pm (Lecture will be about 2 and a half hours)
Ticket Price Only $15.00
FOR TICKETS PLEASE CALL 416-783-7022"
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
I attended this workshop/lecture last night at The Browser's Den of Magic in Toronto.

Jeff Hinchliffe is a gentleman and a magician. He carries these qualities in equal measure and with corresponding excellence.

In a sentence: presented with exceptional attention to clarity of effect, clarity of methodology and clarity of spoken word.

Mr. Hinchliffe is unfailingly articulate, with a rich and captivating vocabulary, but he also enunciates clearly. These attributes make his presentations all the more lucid and appealing. Jeff repeatedly addressed the best-kept secret in all of magic: language and words are magic. Any participant who may have gone in feeling queasy about Eq*****ue surely left secure in the knowledge that it can be a very potent compound in the magician’s psychological pharmacopeia.

This lecture was (as billed) all about “easy magic,” a concept that polarizes magicians more tumultuously than politics and religion combined! Jeff avoided the usual pedantic “sturm und drang” histrionics that plague the debate between easy magic vs. white knuckle-busters. I will not quote what he said, as lecture notes were selling and there might be a subsequent “Over Easy” DVD for sale in due course. It is perhaps sufficient for me to say that Jeff is also a consummate diplomat and his comments about the melding of self-workers/easy magic and sleight-intense magic were thoughtfully considered and well-received with a generous round of applause.

Jeff devoted most of the lecture to his truly delightful work on cards, but he also interwove effects with coins and die. This latter effect was irresistibly seductive. It exhibited Jeff’s obvious love of magic lore and history. This is a guy who reads the books, new and old alike, and sees with a sorcerer’s eyes that some of the oldest books are secret coves that hide some of the freshest magic you can see today. Jeff’s transformation of a VERY old effect into a sensational modern mentalism routine underscores his style: the way he combines and transmutes the relatively ordinary into something, unique, uncommon and wickedly subtle.

It is important to note that he was impeccably attentive to the provenance of the material presented, mentioning original source materials and specific practitioners/performers several times as warranted. Pure class.

For this reviewer, the presentation and explanation of no less than three Poker effects was icing on the cake, each one reinforcing what for me were the two main takeaways from the lecture: “Powerful Magic without Sleight of Hand” and “New Thoughts on an old Principle.”

Jeff ended two and a half delightful hours with a heart-felt, genuine and loving paean about “what magic is.” I hope he publishes it one day.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
I was forgetful in omitting mention of Jeff’s simple, clean and direct pseudo memorized deck trick. This one is adaptable to a wide variety of performing styles.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Jeff is the man... Ive learned lots from that guy many years ago...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » JEFF HINCHLIFFE NEW LECTURE ‘OVER – EASY': (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL