The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How to ask for money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

devinhesketh
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of devinhesketh
Okay, so I live in Canada where it is VERY cold right now. Not good busking weather. I am going on vacation down to Texas for a month and would like to do some busking down there. I was just wondering what your favorite busking lines are (asking for money)?? How in the world do you get the point across that people are supposed to give you money without being rude about it? Anything advice would be greatly appreciated.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
I live in Texas (near Dallas) I don't know any real place to Busk in Texas. If you do sidewalk show you maybe able to perform in a few places. PM me and I will give you some help.
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Fire performer 911 is right there are very few good pitches in texas. However if you plan it rigt I don't see why you cant be successful. If you arenear the gulf coast you might want to consider corpus christi. PM me if you need some more help. I may not respond quickly but I will get back to you.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Remember to give your hat lines in English, or in Texas maybe Spanish. French is not spoken well there
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
devinhesketh
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of devinhesketh
Okay thanks so much for the advice. I am going to be in Houston Texas. Anyone know any busy places there to busk? and specifically what kind of hat lines do you use?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 10:46, Paddy wrote:
Remember to give your hat lines in English, or in Texas maybe Spanish. French is not spoken well there

What about in Paris, Texas?

;-)
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Ry Cooder fans... just where would we be without them huh?

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
"May I please have some money?"

Maybe try padre island where the tourists are
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
"I'm not asking for all of your cash. Just HALF!" and stare at them until they give you half.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Have you listened to Ry's Mambo Sinuendo? Excellent.

Sorry Devin, don't know anything about Texas but I'd imagine Austin or San Antonio might be better bets than Houston.

My friend, who lives in Dallas, says the only thing wrong with Texas is that it's full of Texans. (Sorry, Bobert, I'm sure she was just kidding.)

I just know that when I was hitch-hiking through the state back in the early '70's a cartoonish highway patrolman picked me up and hauled me out into the back country, in the middle of the night, and threw me out of his car, telling me "find yourself a ride from here BOY!" He was a caricature of the cop from "Smokey and The Bandit" movie. I could not help laughing at him even as he was tossing me into the sage brush.

I've stayed clear of Texas ever since.

Good luck.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Say please and thank you.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Hat lines are an extension of your character and persoanlity.

I like to start with by explaining what is going to happen. I will do some amazing and entertaining magic, and they will be thrilled and excited and reward me as much as they enjoy it.

I then remind people laughingly, that in some places, "people actually pay big money to see magic this good"...

I drop the line, or actually, a variation of it several times during a performance.

Then conclude with, I hope you have enjoyed yourself as much as I have, and that you will applaud loudly.... with you wallets.

But how you do it, is what works for you.

Think about it, though.. Are you actually deserving of being rewarded for your performance? If so, be bold and ask. If not, find another hobby.....

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
I just ran across this and thought of this thread. You might find this very helpful. This is Jamie D. Grant interviewing the Legendary Tom Frank. They talk about hatting for a little while near the end, but the whole thing is busking Gold.

http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2010/03/......f-3.html
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quite often when working the markets & festivals
I do a cig vanish with a $5 Bill after a Bill switch from blank paper
and say near the end-

"Some People wonder where I got the $5 from,
a lady came up to me after the show yesterday & said I really liked what you did-heres $5"
-I then look at the crowd & also say-"Just thought Id let you know that".....

Few other similar lines throughout the show & usually gets the ball rolling at the end...

Cheers
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Lol no worries I am not a Texan just sort of live there sometimes. when I am not in nyc or the carribean or asia lol. Texas is so anti buskers it is quite sad.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Say, "I'm a veteran. I also work for food." Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How to ask for money? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL