The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Unusual Animals in your show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I was wondering if anyone uses nontraditional animals in their show. I have recently used a snake and a rat. They were big hits and did a great job. I now have two rats that I make disappear and reappear in the show. I have been reading up on doves and waiting for the local pet stores pair to have another baby, but these other guys are really impressing me so far.

Pets sure do add a whole new level to your shows.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Be careful that your snake soesn't make your rat "dissapear" during the show!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Just returned home today from performing at a school show. I had happened to be there a few days earlier when one of the teachers mentioned he was purchasing a Bearded Dragon for his class.

I made arrangements with him to borrow the Bearded Dragon for the show. Unbeknowst to the kids..as they were dismayed to see his empty tank...they thought he had "dissapeared". I got a lot of oooohs and aaahs Smile when I made him appear from my mirror box.

While I have no plans to purchase one of my own..I saw an opportunity and remembering your post (Thanks by the way!) it was a lot of impromtu fun.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
My son has a two year old Bearded Dragon. Since my boy will be heading to college next Fall, I may be inheriting a lizard!

I have been recently thinking how I could use him in the show. He's now much too big for my Chick Pan, and I have no other production boxes. Have to give more thought to it.

Brian
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Chrystal, that sounds like a lot of fun. I also have a bearded dragon and had practiced with him for a while--they are fairly calm when covered by something. I made the take apart box from Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic--you can make it as big as you need and it's a very simple and quick prop to make, but it wows the audience when presented well. I've used it on stage and in my birtday parties.

My new rats are about to be used this weekend for their first performance. I'll be doing a vanish and then an "impossible" reappearance. The two are fun to work with because they are so smart-and they look exactly alike which adds to the possibilities.

But I will definitely not use the snake and the rats in the same show. Smile
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
Use a matching set of ChinChilla's. Big hit with the kids.
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My present 5 are a rabbit, dove, ferret, chinchilla and a cat. Formerly I used a rat, guinea pig, hamster and fish. I was thinking about adding a small dog.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I used to use Sasha, my Wonder Tortoise as my appearing animal in my dove pan, she was quiet, and tolerant of the children! (she was about 5 inches across!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I figured it's my turn to chime in... I've had snakes in my show since the late 80's. Currently there are two pythons and one boa constricter named "Snuggles". When one of them is acting up ... I have another. Of course these can be dangerous as any exotic animal can be. The care and feeding of the snakes is also time consuming and you have to get use to feeding them... "snake chow" as I call it. Travel with the snakes is also a bit tricky as they need to be kept kept warm.. especially if you live in colder climates. The snake stay home during the winter season ... here in Chicago.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
I am currently using:
Fluffy the Dwarf rabbit who is due for a new production box as he has reached full size.

Marmot the guinea pig (Marmot is indonesian for guinea pig)I was inspired to include marmot after reviewing some info on Cups and Balls and realising that old timers were coming up with these little guys at the end of the routine. Marmot is exiting from the Dove Pan.

"Spot the Dog" is a cross Maltese/Shitzu (mum) and Blue Cattle Dog (dad) who met up with mum unorganised. the Blue cattle dog is related to the wild Australian Dingo crossed with lots of other medium sized working dogs. Spot is therefore unique. He does lots of standard things like push a trolly and jump throuhgh the hoop.

Booma the wonder dog is a now semi retired Golden Retriever.

My doves are sitting on 7 eggs which may develope into an act in the near future.

I have plans for an Australian Carpet or Children's python when I get a little more organised.

Working with animals seems to be getting out of hand at my house. But I really enjoy the challenges to my patience and the thrill of succeding with this variety of amazing creatures.

Troppo Bob Smile
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
This is just my opinion, but who knows I may be wrong. Now I have nothing wrong with large unusual animals. I think it is awesome to see new things being used. But with an animal like a lizard, once produced, it is a slow moving animal and takes longer to register with the audience than a dove or other animal that appears flapping or moving. But, as I said that is just my opinion.
Zaubern Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Unusual Animals in your show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL