The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Do you ever buy a trick just to learn how it's done? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I am able to figure out pretty much every trick I see so there's no need for me to buy it to lean the secret.

Rather I buy products (and lots of them) to learn the subtleties of the handling and to reward the creator for their effort.

The last trick I bought that delighted me in this respect was the No Way Bottle Production.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I am able to figure out pretty much every trick I see so there's no need for me to buy it to lean the secret.

Rather I buy products (and lots of them) to learn the subtleties of the handling and to reward the creator for their effort.

The last tricks I bought that delighted me in this respect was the No Way Bottle Production and Aleph Wallet.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
horganpaul
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of horganpaul
Before I joined these forums - yes.
I must say though with some of the uk shops now getting onboard with video reviews etc. its getting easier (ish) to avoid the potholes. Still get caught the very very odd time though.

God but living in Ireland sucks sometimes (only 1 brick and mortar shop on the island).
Makes trips to the uk hell for my OH though , she gets dragged around the magic shops.
Payback for the clothes shops I guess.....
karlito
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of karlito
Hmmm.. I've fell for dealer hype a lot I guess. And the reason for that is wanting to find out how a certain tricks accomplished
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 23:04, denisb wrote:
Back to FrenchDrop's question : Do you ever buy a trick just to learn how it was done? The answer is I have many times in the past, but not so much anymore.

Ditto.

X-Zone by Masuda was my first and last Smile

Now I can learn or guess the method for some tricks. But if I really like the trick, I will buy it even I know exactly how it works.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 10:28, Michael Daniels wrote:
Yes - I call it research.

Mike

Right on. For better or worse, if something really stumps you, it's very tempting to purchase it just to see how it's done. Sometimes that leads to disappointment, other times to a revelation.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
If the effect is relatively inexpensive, I'll take the risk and buy it out of curiosity... effects like Ben Harris' "Zoom", which cost me $10 and ended up being a super clever and pratical card animation effect.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Yes, it's all part of the learning process...

Regards,
Mike
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Paul Harris' Immaculate Connection a few decades back
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 22:12, FrenchDrop wrote:
... Maybe you were badly fooled when you saw it performed, and you just want to know how the hell it works ...

Look at the advertising. It's very often set up as a puzzle.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 23:07, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 22:12, FrenchDrop wrote:
... Maybe you were badly fooled when you saw it performed, and you just want to know how the hell it works ...

Look at the advertising. It's very often set up as a puzzle.

That's a good observation. It is often shown as a puzzle, and if you can't figure it out, $29.99 will buy you the answer... Works very well too as shown by all the talk of 'magic drawers'.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
50 to 60% of the tricks I bought I either never used, or used once or twice. Many not practical, some are, just not for strolling or my use. So, yes, that's happens to all of us, especially when we think we know it all and then something comes along that just blows our minds, money means less to a curios mind.

It's curiosity, and curiosity killed the cat, but in our case it makes us broke! I spent thousands over the years, many thousands on tricks I just simply do not use, or sold.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I did in the past when I was new to magic. Now that I know the basic sleights and gimmicks almost never - I often even know (or have a very good idea) how a trick is done and therefore know I will like it or not and therfore will buy it or not Smile I have never pre-ordered anything.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Never.
But I do find myself selling a lot of tricks after I know how they are done.

Sounds more clever than it is. What I mean simply, is that what we see, is most often not what we get. YouTube and on-line video has been a blessing and a curse for magic. A lot of newer effects are so angle-sensitive or unrealistically complicated to set up, they only look good when recorded in a controlled environment. The only real way of knowing how a new trick will play is by seeing it in person. The majority of my spending is either at my local brick and mortar, at magic conventions, or from a trusted on-line source that does realistic product reviews.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Yes, 90% of all my purchases....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Do you ever buy a trick just to learn how it's done? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL