The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Glass Scarf Production Box--need info (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Hey folks,

While talking over magic with a friend of mine last weekend, he related an old prop he had that was scratchbuilt by his uncle--a glass cube, held together with electrical tape, that could be shown empty, and then blammo! A silk would visibly appear in the box. This was accomplished by an interior sheet of silvered glass that would drop down off of the back wall to the bottom of the cube, revealing the large scarf crammed in the space. It happens so fast, it's like, well, magic.

Does this trick sound familiar to anyone? And, more importantly, is this one of those old chestnuts for which blueprints are readily available? I've got an idea on modernizing the box, but I have no idea how to fashion the lid, the frame (and the trigger release) for the drop down panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Finn
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Crystal Cube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw3FJCdd-Yo

-Mary Mowder
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
They are available in different sizes now. Ickle Pickle makes these in 4" and 6" sizes. The 6" is spring-loaded.
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sounds like this was made from the workshop plans in the old Science and Mechanics magazine from the 1961, titled "Magic Hsndbook". In it they tell how to make this trick with glass and tape. The magazine tells how to make a number of tricks and illusions. Inquire if your friend has the magazine, that is a better find then a home made prop, in my opinion.

Ickle Pickle Magic makes this today as the above members mentioned out of plastic, with a spring loaded flap.

Spring flowers or sponge balls can appear in the cube as well.
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
This is in fact what he had. His memory of the trick (a tricky thing, that) is that he could show the back wall before the trick happened. Also, he could open the lid beforehand, too.

My friend's uncle passed away, so we can't check to see if it came out of an issue of science and mechanics magazine. But this is a good confirmation, nonetheless.

Aside from Science and Mechanics, 1861, have the blueprints turned up anywhere else?
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In my "Visible See-Through Nest of Boxes" found in The Wizards' Journal #20, I show a method for making a silk handkerchief appear in the innermost glass walled box of a nest of three boxes. In the trick performed as described, the handkerchief contains a borrowed watch or cell phone that was vanished moments earlier, but you could easily eliminate that part (plus the other two glass walled boxes)and just make a silk handkerchief appear in the box (but what fun is that?). I still have some of the glass walled boxes in stock in case they are hard to find elsewhere.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Cool beans, thanks folks for the info. My only drawback is that I don't have a Scrooge McDuck style swimming pool full of fifty dollar bills. There's probably a trick for that, somewhere, too...
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Have you already gathered the six glass or plastic panels needed to make the cube, or is this just a fantasy exercise?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
I'm actually looking at re-designing the cube's look completely. For the act I'm building, I want something more complicated, rather than simple. I've got a real good glass man in my town, so panels aren't a problem. I'm more concerned about the trigger mechanism and how much of a frame I will need to work with in order to make it a sturdy prop. That's why I want the blueprints first. If it's not workable for what I have in mind, there's no point in attempting to assemble it.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Mark, no frame is necessary. Ickle Pickle http://www.magiclegends.com/product2191.html uses holographic difraction film similar to this http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=251& on the corners of their crystal clear magic cubes and glues the panes together. Owen Magic Supreme http://owenmagic.com/Silk/Silk_Casket/silk_casket.html uses a wooden frame on their version.
The trigger mechanism is more of a release catch. It is of the simplest type imagineable. Any more info would constitute exposure. PM or wait until you have 50 posts and then you will have access to the Secret
Sessions part of the forums. Also consider posting on The Workshop under Special Interests. My IP crystal clear cube is over 30 years old and still works perfectly. This is one it may be cheaper to buy than to build.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
In that regard, I would advise buying one to better study the mechanics. It's a relatively cheap investment. Once more familiar, a re-design should pose little problem. You'll be able to draw you own plans, by knowing what can and can't be accomplished with the basic method.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Excellent suggestions, all. Thanks everyone!
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
AGMagic's right. I've got the Ickle Pickle one and it's deceptively simple and always plays well. The fact that it doesn't have a wooden frame makes it even more puzzling for the audience. As for showing all sides...well...um...think about that and think about the paddle trick we used to do as kids.

-Philip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Glass Scarf Production Box--need info (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL