The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking internet trolls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Where was this, Wales?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Nice.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I wonder if that guy had to sign a release to allow his face to be used on that TV program.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Oh yeah. Didn't think of that. Good point.

I hate internet trolls. Freakin' keyboard cowards are so pathetic that I get nauseated thinking about it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I odn't like them either and this guy is scum. Not sure what can be done about it though. I was a little suprised to hear he could be jailed for racist remarks like he made. That's why I asked where he was from.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 17:03, Marlin1894 wrote:

I wonder if that guy had to sign a release to allow his face to be used on that TV program.

For a news show interviewing him in a public place, I would guess not (I only skimmed the clip ... I think I will watch the complete episode of Panorama at a later date).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 17:34, balducci wrote:
For a news show interviewing him in a public place, I would guess not

Yeah probably not. It was basically one of those ambush interviews. Whether or not that should be allowed would probably make for an interesting discussion itself. But it is pretty commonplace.

I was also wondering how they got he info to track him down, but it looked like the comments they were talking about were made on facebook. Which is far from anonymous.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The "troll" himself tried to argue that facebook was a public place. Since he decided to post his racist "free speech" in a public place, he would not, I would argue, be entitled to a reasonable expectation of privacy as far as the news interview went.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 16:09, Marlin1894 wrote:
Where was this, Wales?

The host mentioned Cardiff, so I assume so.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 18:20, mastermindreader wrote:
The "troll" himself tried to argue that facebook was a public place. Since he decided to post his racist "free speech" in a public place, he would not, I would argue, be entitled to a reasonable expectation of privacy as far as the news interview went.

Yes, a public page on FB is, in essence, a public place. Even though I'm sure whoever runs that page has the ability to delete any comment and probably block the person from commenting any further.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I'm sure they did.
Portland Magician
View Profile
New user
Portland, OR
2 Posts

Profile of Portland Magician
I don't care how offensive anyone is online, and you shouldn't either.

The internet is "The Oracle" of our age, and in the market of free ideas the best ideas tend to prevail (unless stifled). Trolls do not go away through expose or argument, they fade away by ignoring them."Don't Feed the Trolls"

On the other hand, physically tracking someone down because of their opinions or statements online is far more offensive to me than any commentary, and should be handled by actual authorities if the situation demands it. Otherwise, anti-troll cyberstalking becomes actual stalking and is a crime, & potentially hazardous.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I wouldn't think simply finding the location of someone for an interview would be considered stalking. If it is, then investigative reporters are stalking/breaking the law all the time.

In this case, the interviewer simply approached the man for an interview. Yes, with the intent of 'outing' the troll, but again, this happens all the time in investigative reporting.

I would imagine that the show checked the laws before locating and approaching the numbskull.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I shouldn't care when someone posts racial slurs on a memorial page dedicated to somebody's loved one?

I do care.

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Hear hear!

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I read all the comments first before I watched the vid, and I'm 100% in agreement with Masterminder and Kambiz.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
This guy is just an ignoramus spouting off in what he figured was an anonymous manner. The real trolls are the ones that get paid to troll the interwebs and plant lies and false stories. It's an actual profession. These are the ones that create the most havoc online, imho.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking internet trolls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL