The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Moon Spinner — Am I Missing Something (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Just opened a polybagged Moon Spinner and read the instructions and tried the trick.

I see the gray disk and that is kind of cool, but the transition to the real quarter seems real awkward and unrealistic to me.

Does anyone perform this trick as per the instructions?

I am thinking of using the one sided paddle as a paddle trick and then show the optical illusion as a added curiosity.

To me that works better than forcing the real coin into the mix.

Not sure, I'll have to show the traditional routine to my wife and see what she thinks.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
To make it look its best, you have to keep spinning the paddle fast when you f**p the paddle and slow it down to make the quarter "appear".

You should not just f**p the paddle and bang, a quarter.

What I do is show the optical illusion to the spectator and say, "The power of the mind is very strong. I want you to think about what you see when I spin this mind catcher. Think about what you are seeing, think, think, think (as I am spinning the paddle) and then I f**p it as I am spinning it very fast. I then slow down to show they have made a quarter materialize and say, "Hey, it worked. You have a very strong mind, let's try that again". I repeat it a few times and flip the coin in my hand off the paddle and "put them" in a cup or something. Then at the end I show the cup empty.

There are quite a few things you can do with this simple, yet effective illusion.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Moonspinner is based on an optical illusion that is at least 100 years old. Move your hand in a moderately fast circular motion (not crazy fast) and you will see a gray disc clearly appear on the paddle. The large side of the paddle's head makes the Paddle Move more difficult to do deceptively--but it can be done! It is far from Tenyo's best effect, but it's a simple one.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
When I saw first saw the packaging at the magic shop I thought it was one of the dumbest ideas for a trick I had ever seen. A couple of years later I saw a professional coin man use it to produce a coin at the start of a routine and was astounded at how good it looked. I don't know how he did the flip, but I never saw a flicker. The grey disk suddenly just solidified.

I expect he did it as the paddle was still moving as has been suggested.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I think it Moonspinner is missing that little extra something something that makes Tenyo tricks so great.

If the coin on the reverse side could spin around rather than being fixed, it would work better.

The problem I think is that the coin is just there and there is no slowing down of it spinning.

I think the mechanism to make the coin spin would not be that difficult to create for the masterminds of mechanics at Tenyo.

AA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Moon Spinner — Am I Missing Something (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL