The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » American Idol (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
It's been going on for a LONG time.

I watched the first season or two and then lost interest, then a few weeks ago I randomly caught some of the auditions and was hooked.

One of my wife's and my favorite songs so far (possibly better than the original):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-DXc08Ows&feature=related
(music starts at 0:58)
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Definitely some great talent this season. The ones they are letting go at this point, are pretty darn good.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am not a fan of this sort of show but I don't really know why.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Well they do tend to mold people into existing star formulas, and file off their "rough" edges. And then they make them compete in areas that they would never venture as performers. So, it's not perfect. Some of the world's greatest performers could easily fail in that format. The Simon bit was getting old, so I'm glad they moved away from that.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-02-18 12:37, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
...it's not perfect. Some of the world's greatest performers could easily fail in that format.

Absolutely true, very good points.

For some reason I really enjoy this type of show.
I especially like it when I get to see a bit into an industry or a passion that I don't know much about. That's why I watched 2 seasons of America's Next Top Model and 2 of MasterChef.
Those two shows have a lot of manufactured drama and b.s., so I kind of got sick of them after a while; still it was very interesting.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
They've made some good changes this season. They've focused MUCH less on the bad performers, we've been able to see a lot more good performances. They added a Vegas week where they actually put together a team production number with costumes and everything and many of those performances have been exceptional. They still focus a bit too much on the drama, particularly the first group performance in Hollywood, but generally they've made good improvements.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Agreed, that may be why I'm enjoying this season so much.
A bit of drama is fine, but I like seeing amazing singers more.

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I think this is their strongest season in a long while. Now is a great time to catch up on the season, the ones left are really good.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Heejun Han has added some welcome humor to the show. He's got a pretty good dry sense of humor. In his interview before singing to make it into the top 24 he said in his typical monotone style of delivery.

"I want to show the world that Asians are not only good for getting high scores on their SATs. They are also good at singing and entertaining.”

Then, after getting a few so so comments from the judges, he said in his back stage interview,

"Now my only hope is my dad. He has 10 cell phones and he really knows how to dial."
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I like Heejun a lot.
We didn't realize that they were doing 3 nights this week, so we missed the boys singing but wow, good stuff!

I have to say that Randy has been a voice of reason though.
I think everyone up there is so good that the judges have a hard time giving serious feedback. Two or three times Randy Jackson was the only judge to say that wasn't very good ("sort of trainwrecky").

So far I'm rooting for Jessica, Hollie, Elise and Joshua Ledet (but I didn't get a chance to hear the boys).

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » American Idol (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL