The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No Food During the Show... PLEASE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
This is a great discussion and to see how others deal with this is awesome. Here's a new one to me. I did a family show this last weekend and there was a hallway to my left to the kitchen. The host was standing there watching the show. Someone got up to get more food (adults aren't a problem, it's the kid shows where food annoys me) and the host STOPPED the person and told them to sit down! THEN, after the show I got a $50 tip! Wow! That was so cool of the host! I'll take her on the road with me.

Josh
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Last month I heard a lecturer say that he clearly asks that a parent not serve food during a show. One lady wouldn't comply and proceeded to come sit next to her son during a show and literally spoon feed the child. Eric went on to say that it didn't take very long until that very kid was choking and spitting up during the show. The lady had to eat humble pie when she knew he clearly warned her. Children's laughter and food don't mix well for multiple reasons.
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
Quote:
On 2012-03-01 15:27, MichaelDouglas wrote:
Last month I heard a lecturer say that he clearly asks that a parent not serve food during a show. One lady wouldn't comply and proceeded to come sit next to her son during a show and literally spoon feed the child. Eric went on to say that it didn't take very long until that very kid was choking and spitting up during the show. The lady had to eat humble pie when she knew he clearly warned her. Children's laughter and food don't mix well for multiple reasons.

That's a great excuse that's impossible for the host to argue with. "You're paying me to entertain them; my show will make them laugh, and I've learned from experience that turns food into a choking hazard. So thank you for understanding my absolutely-no-food rule."

Definitely gonna start using that one.
mikedobias
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mikedobias
Great topic. Avoiding food during the show definitely starts during the booking process, as I ask when the party will be starting so I can determine where in the party my show will be happening--in addition to not having food during the show, I also want to be sure my show time is not starting at the same time the party is starting, since people always show up late--I ususally recommend my show starting 15-30 minutes after the party start time.

For food during the show, I also will check out the situation during my setup and inform the parents that food is not a good idea for many of the resaons you all have pointed out--I gently explain that there will be times during my show when the children will jump (snake can, wand to snake, or just general excitedness), and food/drink will make a mess of their carpet. This is sufficient for most cases. In the very rare cases where this doesn't work, I just keep going--it isn't worth it to break the flow of the show, and I often have another show to get to, and can't afford the time. You've done your best to explain up front, and I don't find getting into an adversarial situation is going to going to help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No Food During the Show... PLEASE (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL