The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bamberg Lady from Light (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/recommendations of the Bamberg Lady from Light found in GREATER MAGIC?

-Ben
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Can you be more specific? These are vague questions that would take volumes to answer, and our suggestions/ideas/recommendations may not help you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think Ben is posting in response to my suggestion on another of his threads. He was asking about a Shadow Box and I mentioned the Bamberg version from Greater Magic.

Ben,

You should try to invest in this book and get that info first hand. But I suspect that the basic concept for this illusion is somewhere among the many Osborne illusion plans. There is no B/A involved. It is a framework box with the front being hinged as a door, and one other place on the box that is gimmicked (easily made). The illusion fits on a simple thin plywood base with feet and/or casters. The top should have a simple brace that can hold the light.

Be aware that this has a very large footprint. The base can easily be 4' x 4'. This will take up a lot of floor space both onstage and backstage. But, everything can be made to break down flat for transport or storage.

When I built mine, I was fortunate enough to find frames made from square steel tubing that all bolted together into a cube. I added wooden frames within these that allowed me to staple on the paper, add the hinged door, etc. I later decided to use white fabric for all the panels except the front which was consumable at each performance. It was replaced each time with a large section of butcher paper.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Osborne has two plans out for the Shadow Box, and I believe they also appear in his Classic Magic series. The Pendragons also spend time on this illusion in their series of DVD's.

B
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My suggestion is the same as I posted in your other thread- follow your own plan and don't be an imitator. Your idea is sound and in rehearsal you will learn to make it better.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
While a copy "Greater Magic" may be difficult to find, (Although I do have one kicking around somewhere!) from Michael's description, there is a similar illusion in one of the Tarbell books.

Beware though, that this was one of the first "big" illusions that I built (years ago) and there is a serious flaw in the Tarbell design!

Suggest that if you decide to make one, you knock up a rough prototype first! I think that you will see exactly what I mean!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Not so serious- Tarbell just forgot to mention the staging for counter-balance. But the problem goes away when you do away with the platform and just set the box directly on the floor. If you perform an illusion like my "Shadow Carton" on a large stage and want to dispell theories about trapdoors, have a solid platform the audience can see beneath and perform on that. It can even be as simple as a sheet of plywood on cinderblocks.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2012-02-23 08:09, magicjohn2278 wrote:
While a copy "Greater Magic" may be difficult to find, (Although I do have one kicking around somewhere!) from Michael's description, there is a similar illusion in one of the Tarbell books.

Beware though, that this was one of the first "big" illusions that I built (years ago) and there is a serious flaw in the Tarbell design!

Suggest that if you decide to make one, you knock up a rough prototype

first! I think that you will see exactly what I mean!

If you want to build this version of the Shadow Box I would try to find a copy of VHS/DVD of International Magicians Society's MAGIC ACADEMY course in magic volume 49-- Grand Illusions 4.
It shows the prop close up with dimentions,and shows how the trap works.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2012-02-23 15:57, Spellbinder wrote:
Not so serious- Tarbell just forgot to mention the staging for counter-balance. But the problem goes away when you do away with the platform and just set the box directly on the floor. If you perform an illusion like my "Shadow Carton" on a large stage and want to dispell theories about trapdoors, have a solid platform the audience can see beneath and perform on that. It can even be as simple as a sheet of plywood on cinderblocks.

Actually, the flaw that I discovered was the thing at the back of the cabinet. Once the girl is inside, there is no longer enough room for it to work!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-02-24 08:16, magicjohn2278 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-23 15:57, Spellbinder wrote:

Actually, the flaw that I discovered was the thing at the back of the cabinet. Once the girl is inside, there is no longer enough room for it to work!

When I made mine, I changed that aspect so it operated with a double horizontal axis, rather than a single vertical one. (does that make sense?)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Saloon doors. Perfect sense.
Professor Spellbinder

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-02-24 10:24, Spellbinder wrote:
Saloon doors. Perfect sense.

That would give you a line of separation. Mine was still a single panel.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
... I ended up remaking the back with a roller blind affair. - Sides were material also.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-02-24 12:26, magicjohn2278 wrote:
... I ended up remaking the back with a roller blind affair. - Sides were material also.

That's a good idea. I eventually re-fitted mine with fabric on all panels, except the front. Fewer accidents with fewer replacements. I wish I still had the prop.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
The M Magician also exposed this illusion on Magic Biggest Secrets Revealed--I think the very first one. It used a cloth flap not a trap.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Incidentally, mine was made with a "slide-out shelf" at the back to keep the footprint of the platform to a minimum. It's only 6" wider than the box all around. Added considerably to the weight because of the construction, but I wouldn't have been able to accommodate it otherwise.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've seen that feature on some designs. I was not aware of the idea when I made mine. I guess the advantage mine had was the base was merely 1" thick. The legs were about 10" high and tapered from about 8" at the top, to about 4" at the bottom, plus the casters. The four legs, the corded light fixture, and a bag of bolts fit in one box, while the base, frames, and corner wings stacked relatively flat along the side wall in my van. It was quite large when assembled, but traveled well. I designed a few of my illusions to be travel-friendly. I also made a flash appearance/backdrop set that only took up 6" along the van wall, but the assembled footprint was large enough that I could have produced a small horse in it! Big show on stage, small show in my home!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
I have a shadow box with flight case for sale if anyone is interested, email me at dustymagic@btinternet.com or PM me if you prefer. I am open to offers. UK only as this is a very heavy prop and case.

Video clip showing the type I am selling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naVqKTIM6Rk&feature=related
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bamberg Lady from Light (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL