The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What do you remember from shop class? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I failed at everything - the clipboard was wider at the top than the bottom, the metal cylinder was not round, the door buzzer would not buzz and the pictures on the graph paper were full of erasure marks. Not a good place to meet girls. I did better in band with the trombone and a girl who snorted when she laughed, named Porky. I wasn't exactly the catch of the day...
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I learned don't put your soldering iron in your back pocket so you can free your hand to hold something else.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I never had anyone teach me woodworking either until I started working in the scene shop in college (aka cheap labor, although we did get paid). The shop foreman was retired from the movie industry, where he had been a carpenter and prop maker, so he knew his stuff. He was a cantankerous crabby old fart with a sense of humor, and he did teach me some things I still remember.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Mr. Gidry, Woodshop at John Burrows JH, Los Angeles CA. 1968.
"You must scribe your line before you cut. Again.....scribe your line before you cut!".
We were issued one 4x4 120 grit piece at the start of the semester and had to present it, used to the nub, to be granted another.

Sandcasting, making a hacksaw, tool box, enameling on copper in metalshop, Mr. Fisk.

Wood lath turning was particularly fun.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Mr. Heck, Oak Ridge TN Junior High shop class.

Learning to use a band saw. Made a wooden stool that turned out pretty good.

Made various acrylic projects, we had an engraver.

The shop was cold this time of year, we wore coats.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
My Wood shop teacher had a paddle made from a 3 foot piece of pine with air holes drilled in it if you stepped out of line you had to bend over and touch your toes.One day he was showing us how to stain a board telling us not to get the rag so wet the stain runs out of it down your arm to your elbow and onto the concrete floor because the stain won't come out of the concrete as he lifted the rag out of the can of stain it ran down his rag down his arm and onto the concrete I don't know why but I just started clapping and saying good job as everyone else stood there in total silence the next think I heard was "I want to see that clown after class".I had to bend over and touch my toes.Don't think he could get away with that now days.

Best
Leo Jr
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Measure twice, cut three or four times!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
HCM
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of HCM
Funny, the only thing I remember from shop was nicking my knuckle on a drill press following a safety lecture. Don't even remember what we were making.....where do those memories go?
Joel Broock
High Caliber Magic, LLC
www.highcalibermagic.com
Flip Disc
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Flip Disc
Ever since I was 4 years old I wanted to be a carpenter so I took every shop class I could. In highschool I took carpentry at a vocational school. When I graduated I joined the Carpenters union(32 years ago). The magic bug hit me in 1994. I recently did many upgrades to my shop. The larger planer, jointer and dust collection system have the sound that brings me back to those old school shop days.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2012-03-22 16:12, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
My Wood shop teacher had a paddle made from a 3 foot piece of pine with air holes drilled in it if you stepped out of line you had to bend over and touch your toes.One day he was showing us how to stain a board telling us not to get the rag so wet the stain runs out of it down your arm to your elbow and onto the concrete floor because the stain won't come out of the concrete as he lifted the rag out of the can of stain it ran down his rag down his arm and onto the concrete I don't know why but I just started clapping and saying good job as everyone else stood there in total silence the next think I heard was "I want to see that clown after class".I had to bend over and touch my toes.Don't think he could get away with that now days.

Best
Leo Jr

You mean, thwacking someone with a paddle for having the NERVE to point out that the emperor is, in fact, not WEARING any clothes? Smile

No, really, I do get your point, just noting that this is EXACTLY the sort of pedantic, beaureaucratic buffoonery that would swear so many would-be woodworkers, etc., off manual arts for good.

Cheers,
Leland
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2012-03-22 23:58, Stanyon wrote:
Measure twice, cut three or four times!

Measure once, cut twice, cuss three times.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Measure once, cut twice, cuss three times. Have a cup of coffee. Go buy more wood.

If you don't know, don't be afraid to ask. There are no stupid questions. (There are though, many inquisitive idiots.)

If at first you don't succeed, try again. If you still don't succeed, at least you've succeeded at being a redundant idiot.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-03-22 16:12, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
My Wood shop teacher had a paddle made from a 3 foot piece of pine with air holes drilled in it if you stepped out of line you had to bend over and touch your toes.

My sixth grad teacher had one of those hanging over his chalkboard (remember chalkboards...?). He called it "The Board of Education."

The main thing I remember about woodshop in 1984 was that Mr. Toenjoeust would confiscate any project that resembled a pipe (ie, for the devilweed). Sadly, that actually kept him rather busy. He probably could have opened a well-stocked head shop as a retirement job.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2012-04-18 14:52, Michael Baker wrote:
Measure once, cut twice, cuss three times. Have a cup of coffee. Go buy more wood.

If you don't know, don't be afraid to ask. There are no stupid questions. (There are though, many inquisitive idiots.)

If at first you don't succeed, try again. If you still don't succeed, at least you've succeeded at being a redundant idiot.

This thread needs a revival since I am building and back porch/deck/ramp (for my soon to be crippled wife and her hip surgery) to the house.
Especially noticed is the measure more than one time and cut once. Difficult when you are trying to hold a 2x6x10', over your head, in place to see if its gonna fit before/after you cut. Yes I know about resting it on nails at one end while trying to hammer at the other end, and I know about tape measures, and that it takes skill to run a Skil saw. It's still too short or too long.
But my biggest peeve is driving 75 miles into town to Lowes, getting everything I need and three quarters of the way back remembering you forgot something that was essential in the next step.
Even worse is the careful selection of treated lumber for twist and turns, and it is absolutely straight, inline, online and then laying it down on the frame thinking this is going to be the floor and discovering overnight the 12 footer has suddenly developed a bow. Yes I know the bow side goes up, but I swear it was straight yesterday. *&^%# (@#^%!X&.
And that's what I think about doing outdoor projects in 100 degree heat.
#@&^
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Carpenter's prayer: If the board is going to be cut wrong, please make it too long.

Cures for your pet peeves:

1) Stop buying lumber at Lowes.

2) Old brains are like old pockets. They develop holes that things fall out of. Make a list and take it with you.

3) Stop buying lumber at Lowes.

4) When your wife's safety relies on good carpentry, don't take your concerns to a magicians' forum, unless you plan to surprise her with a trap door.

5) Stop buying lumber at Lowes.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
By neatly stacking material up on blocks you can avoid the material waste. I have built hundreds of homes and my pet peave is messy stacked lumber piles. If you pull up to a job and see piles of lumber stacked like spaghetti its a red flag to the quality of the work being done.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
The same lumber distributor supplies Lowes and Home Depot and other discount lumber supplies in this part of Texas.
I get a veterans discount and a senior discount which adds up to almost 15%. Pretty substantial for someone that lives on SS and a small veterans check. I don't get that discount at "real" lumber stores.
I do make a list, but sometimes I forget to put things on the list.
This thread is titled: What do you remember from shop class? I thought my mini frustration was related to that, even though it is in a magicians forum, and was started by someone else.
If I was rich, I certainly would invest in redwood lumber, at a cost of $26 per piece for a 2x6x8 piece of lumber. But I'm not, so I have to settle for what I can afford.
Lumber is expensive here because we live in the middle of the desert and it is shipped in from lumber mills far away, California for the redwood, middle America for the rest.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Settle down. Most of my post was tongue-in-cheek. But, I will say that discount lumber is no discount if you are ending up with warped wood that you can't use for the project intended. I've had the same thing happen with lumber from Lowes. I bought a few 4x4s to add on to a deck, and one warped like a longbow (serious arc), and another twisted like a corkscrew. Couldn't use either one.

Sometimes lumber will warp if one side can dry faster than the other.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Stickeling your lumber and letting it dry out of the sun may help. The moisture content in HD and Lowes lumber is often quite high. Wait until it dries before you attempt to use it. The other option is to cut it too long and wait for it to shrink - it will!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What do you remember from shop class? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL