The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Close-Up Pad for Coin Work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I was practicing Paul Harris' Killer Coin Matrix, in preparation for a (non-paid) show for an informal gathering of layman friends. Rehearsals went well, but I was looking forward to replacing my close-up pad, which had become quite worn out. Just before we left for the get-together, the mail arrived, and there was the brand new Wilson close-up pad I had ordered.

To my dismay, when I performed the trick, I discovered that the coins would not slide as easily as they did on my old close-up pad. As a result, the first "pick-up" (if you're familiar with PH's move) was very awkward and amateurish. Wish I had known that before purchasing the pad. (Also wish I had been able to practice with this mat, prior to performance!)

OK, what all this is leading up to, is: Can you recommend a close-up mat (my preferred size is 12" x 16" or 14" x 16") which is suitable for coin work?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Take a look at Pattrick's Mats here: http://pattricksmagic.com/index.php/worl......istings/

Excellent close-up pads and priced reasonably. Just about every size you could imagine plus he will make custom sizes if needed. Also, Pattrick has great service and will work with you.

Jim
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I agree 100% with Jim's recommendation! I have been using one of Pattrick's mats for the past year and it is outstanding.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean Dill, a coin matrix expert, makes the perfect pads. Go to http://www.deandill.com[/b]
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have one of deans pads. I bought it when I purchased deans triangle. a very nice pad.
todd
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Are you looking for A hard Pad ( Like Dean's), Or one you can roll up ???
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks, guys, for those resources. David: yes, a roll-up pad would be preferable.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Sounds weird. A large computer mouse pad from Office Depot works pretty slick and it's CHEAP!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Then I would go with Pattrick's Mats That's what I use!!!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Pattrick's Mats is the way to go. They're great!
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
I second: Pattrick's mats.
Have been using one for two years now.
They are washable too.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
At least get the plush model.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have been using 2 of Patrick's pads since 2003. One is bright yellow the other is a more conservative crimson color.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 01:55, Motor City wrote:
Pattrick's Mats is the way to go. They're great!

I second this. You could probably even get him to send you a small piece before you spend for the big one.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This problem is why I gave up on close-up mats. So I bought a placemat from Big Lots. It's a paisley pattern on one side, and dark blue on the other. It's perfect for coins, and cups & balls. However, I am interested in getting one of Patrick's mats after seeing the site. Thanks for that! Smile

Doug
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thank you, Gentlemen, one and all, for those solid recommendations. I will be contacting Pattrick today.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea I carry One of his 4.f. 40 th. pads rolled up in my day bag all the time! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2012, Atom3339 wrote:
Sounds weird. A large computer mouse pad from Office Depot works pretty slick and it's CHEAP!

The Café is a great place! The info is fantastic. I'm starting to branch out into some coin learning (I'm nearly 100% card work) and purchased a reverse matrix routine. I tried it on one of my card closeup mats and discovered none of the moves work on it! Then serendipity I tried the move on my small mouse pad and it worked! The mat needs to be firm I found -- no give, and the mouse pad is just right. I need to go find a large one now. Thanks to Atom3339 for confirming my discovery.

Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Close-Up Pad for Coin Work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL