The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kids magic for mission trip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Hi all. I am going on a missions trip to an Indian Reservation called Pine Ridge this summer. There will be many MANY kids there. I have been doing magic and preforming for quite some time but have avoided most children magic settings as it is a whole different animal (so I have read). I was wondering if any of you could suggest some effects or resources to me that I could get involved with and practice on between now at the beginning of June. The situations I will be in will be the sort where many kids will surround me and be excited to see magic. The closest I have to this currently is the 3d sponge rabbits which I have been doing for years and I love! What else would be good in this setting? Thanks for the help!

David
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Since there's "many MANY kids there" I suggest some stand up parlor tricks along with some close-up.

Silk to Egg
Rope tricks
Egg Bag

Visual tricks and tricks that use the kids as assistants.

Googled the reservation. Lot's of poverty there.

Good luck.
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
The Rez is a pretty dark and sad place sometimes, but there are some pretty good efforts happening though. Thanks for those ideas, Jaz. I will look into them. I am partial to consider rope tricks and have some resources for that.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 14:51, davidandstuff wrote:
Hi all. I am going on a missions trip to an Indian Reservation called Pine Ridge this summer. There will be many MANY kids there. I have been doing magic and preforming for quite some time but have avoided most children magic settings as it is a whole different animal (so I have read). I was wondering if any of you could suggest some effects or resources to me that I could get involved with and practice on between now at the beginning of June. The situations I will be in will be the sort where many kids will surround me and be excited to see magic. The closest I have to this currently is the 3d sponge rabbits which I have been doing for years and I love! What else would be good in this setting? Thanks for the help!

David

May I ask, what is a missions trip?
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Foxlute: There are many ways to explain what a mission trip is. In the context I used it I am referring to a trip being taken by Christian's to a location with the purpose of exemplifying Christ, his teachings, and his actions to others in hope that they might see who he is and desire to know him and be allied to his Kingdom. This specific trip is to aid the Lakota people in any way we can and serve them in any way necessary to help them. This will take many avenues and lead to a variety of actions and projects. I hope that explains it well enough and clarifies.
s.freeman
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of s.freeman
You could check through the gospel forums, not sure if you're looking for gospel magic or not. Rope tricks would be great as it's a very common object and very visual. Scarves also. If it were me I might be nervous to do money magic because of the poverty, though I can't really say why I have that hesitation. On the other hand coin magic might inspire someone there to learn for themselves. God bless and I hope it goes well for you.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Kids magic has more to do with the presentation than it does with which tricks you do. Keep it fun and get them involved.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 11:38, davidandstuff wrote:
Foxlute: There are many ways to explain what a mission trip is. In the context I used it I am referring to a trip being taken by Christian's to a location with the purpose of exemplifying Christ, his teachings, and his actions to others in hope that they might see who he is and desire to know him and be allied to his Kingdom. This specific trip is to aid the Lakota people in any way we can and serve them in any way necessary to help them. This will take many avenues and lead to a variety of actions and projects. I hope that explains it well enough and clarifies.

Thank you for the explanation.
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Thank you all for your information.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kids magic for mission trip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL