The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Confabulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
OK, all of us here at the Magic Nook missed the meeting where a bunch of magicians/mentalists must have gotten together and coined the word "confabulation" to describe any prediction of three or more random events or expressions made during a show. At least I think that's what's being defined. Suddenly it's a new buzz word and we didn't even get a memo about it! What's going on? Seriously, though, does anyone know who coined the word (and when) and why everyone feels that they have to group all such predictions under that term (like tissues have to be called Kleenex)?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe you will find that it is generally attributed to Alan Shaxon. He certainly made the simplified 3 prediction a thing of simplicity and beauty. Before him Hen Fetech came up with the Mental Epic wiich also used three predictions.

I feel to use the term "confabulation" in a context other than Alan Shaxon's brillant contribution is an injustice.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Thanks for the clues. The overuse of "Confabulation" to include a whole category of prediction routines may also be "flattery gone wild." In any case, your clues helped me add Alan Shaxon to my brief biographies of inventors and I included a note about a possible origin of the name. http://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioQRS.htm

By the way, Hen Fetsch wasn't the first. Before him, UF Grant had already conceived of the gimmickless "Citation" which was the apparent grand-daddy of all the "three for the price of one" prediction routines.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Does not surprise me that Gen Grant had the Citation slate. I supsect that Anneman or Corinda had some three way predictions also. I should go back into my 1920;s scrapebooks and see who had sent some ideas to W.W. Durbin to use that were included in his notebooks. We might end up back with Thayer and Alexander.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
What about the Al Baker slates? That has to figure in there somewhere. That was the first mental effect I performed having someone add 3 mumbers and the total matching a perdiction.

Gerry
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Al Baker slates are more like an Add a number pad. I believe what is being discussed are three separate predictions, using something like a one ahead principle.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I don't know... he's got a point.... three separate numbers...predict the total. It just needs a good story. There's no rule about what principle can be used. To Confabulate or not to Confabulate...that is the question.
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Confabulation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL