The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Old dudes beating people up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've already mentioned the 70 year old who won his MMA debut by submission against a guy 20 years his junior.
And we're all familiar with how long Randy Couture managed to compete at the highest levels of his sport.

Well now 50 year old Maurice "Mo" Smith has knocked his most recent opponent unconcious with a head kick.

These guys are living proof that age is just a number.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
That fight was a disgrace. Yes Smith is 50 years old. He is also a highly trained and experienced fighter who has almost 100 professional fights, in a cage with a kid who looks like he's been training martial arts for about 6 months.

I'm sorry but that's why I don't like rinky-dink outfits like the "Resurrection Fighting Alliance". I don't care if Smith was 60 years old, that kid had no business in a ring/cage with him. The age difference wasn't really wasn't an issue here. It was just a case of a trained and skilled man beating up a completely inept younger man. I was more impressed by the fact that Cordoba made it into the 3rd round, cause he did nothing but take abuse the entire fight.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
50 is an old dude? Recalibration time for me.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
50 isn't that old, just made a catchy headline.

I liked the fight specifically because it showed that experience is more important than youth.
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I had an mma guy tell me a guy I went to highschool is a sought after mma instructer and he is 51ish.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-04-09 13:38, critter wrote:
I liked the fight specifically because it showed that experience is more important than youth.

Of course. And I like when that happens too. I just thought the disparity between their skill levels made it less impressive. I admire his moxy getting in the cage with Smith but it was a complete and utter mismatch from the start.

But that why I said I didn't like organizations like the RFA. Smith was a big "get" for them even though he hadn't fought in several years. So they made sure he had a total can he could beat up on. Not that Smith should be facing high level competition at this point, but that was tough for me to watch because Cordoba had no ability to take Smith down and his striking is obviously not very good. He was basically helpless in there.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Understood.
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
My wife and I watched a movie tonight titled Harry Brown, starring Michael Caine, made in 2009. If you like to see old guys beat up on young bad guys, this is the movie for you. It was a good movie in this critic's opinion.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-04-29 02:53, Bob1Dog wrote:
My wife and I watched a movie tonight titled Harry Brown, starring Michael Caine, made in 2009. If you like to see old guys beat up on young bad guys, this is the movie for you. It was a good movie in this critic's opinion.

I loved that movie and have recommended it to friends.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6UCHk5pFmU

From the trailer:

"He's Mean, He's Angry, He's Old"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Mr. Miyagi did it all the time.

(RIP Pat Morita.)
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Old dudes beating people up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL