The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » DVD's to get started (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
Hi all! I will cut to the chase I am going to be out of work do to a surgery for awhile and figured I would start researching a new avenue of Birthday Parties! I know of 2 DVD'd Dan Harlan's Pack Small Play Big, and How to Teach a Birthday Magic Class James Munton, what are some other good instructional videos on the subject or reviews of these two videos.

Thank You
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
If you are new to Magic check out my article
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462185&forum=41
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
Kids magic is (in my opinion) the most difficult. A dvd won't teach you anything excdept the mechanics of the tricks and what one guys does at his shows. Only experience will teach you how to begin entertaining kids. I'll save everyone time and suggest you use the search function to find the answer. Another thing you can do is go to your favorite online magic shop and look at the DVD selections for kids they have. David Kaye, Tommy James, Ken Scott, on and on. Too many.

Here's the biggest secret about kid show magic. Instead of investing in props, dvds, etc. find out WHY kids are entertained by certain things and take your existing routines and fit them in.

Josh
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My double DVD 'Pocket Full of Miracles - performing kids shows with minimal props' will be out in the next two weeks. There will be an accompanying book.

That aside, Seriously Silly was the best I have seen. Highly recommended. Short on tricks, long on advice and useful information.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Josh, your second paragraph is wonderful.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2012-04-09 20:00, Frank Starsini wrote:
Josh, your second paragraph is wonderful.

I second that Frank.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
The truth is we've all bought the newest best prop, trick, book, etc. but my experience has always been to perform with simple props that kids know and are familiar with. I love David Kaye's Crystal Tube routine, but my cut and restored rope plays much better and gets a better reaction. I think it is because kids identify with the props; scissors and rope.

Just my 2 cents.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Learn about "Look; Don't See" stuff and "Magician In Trouble" (searches on The Magic Café will turn up loads).

These two principles account for 75% of the laughs in kid shows and make a so-so trick fun.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Tony, your first paragraph was excellent advice - and a good suggestion to both Prophet, and me. I had no idea you were releasing a DVD - Where can I get it from?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Stephen, it will be released in about two weeks time. The final editing is being done this week, and once I have it in my hands I will be trying to get dealers to stock it. I will also be selling it direct, but that is something I have not set up yet. I am kind of excited. I know you have gone down this route before, as have others. I hope I don't cringe when I see the final edit!
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Oo, this is a good DVD for children's entertainers... Ahem...

http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Or for lots of magic you can do with a puppet, with or without ventriloquism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePgMk32voC0&feature=relmfu
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2012-04-09 19:57, TonyB2009 wrote:
That aside, Seriously Silly was the best I have seen. Highly recommended. Short on tricks, long on advice and useful information.

I agree.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2012-04-09 19:57, TonyB2009 wrote:
My double DVD 'Pocket Full of Miracles - performing kids shows with minimal props' will be out in the next two weeks.

Maybe rethink the title, Diamond Jim Tyler has a very well-known DVD with the same title.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks, Mick. Didn't know that. I googled it and only got a movie from fifty years ago. Any suggestions, guys?
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
http://www.diamond-jim.com/originals/ It is about mid way down. Tony do you have a promo clip of the dvd you are coming out with?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I will have the promo clip mid way through next week. The editor is working on all that at the moment. I will post it when I get it. Then let the flak fall!
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I have several DVDs out there, but they are for the professional children's entertainer. Not really for beginners. They deal mainly in increasing work flow and filling out the diary, or fine-tuning a show with puppet routines and balloon modelling etc. So I don't think mine with help you.

Stephen
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
71 Posts

Profile of pepita
Does anyone own Bill Boley's school show DVDs ?
If so, would you advise to get them ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » DVD's to get started (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL