The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini in Birmingham Alabama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
Does anyone have any info on when and in which theatre Houdini appeared? Thank you
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I lived in Birmingham for a long time, and do not ever recall any mention that Houdini had played there, but there is a very long list of potential theaters that existed during his day where he could have played.

Where does your information come from that he did play there?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

None, yet. One of the topics I am going to research at the library tomorrow. The Alabama wasn't built before he died, but the Lyric Theatre across the street existed. I find it hard to believe that he missed a good sized city on his tours.
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I played on the stage at the Alabama several times... gorgeous theater. The Lyric is in a state of VERY SLOW restoration. It was in complete disrepair the one and only time I was in it.

But, there were MANY other theater names to check. Birmingham has had as many as seventy-something theaters in its history. Keith-Orpheum may be a possibility, as he did work that circuit. I know he played the Orpheum in Galesburg, IL (my original home), although we have yet to find out exactly when. There are several other theaters that existed there during Houdini's life.

The only old newspaper clipping that I have so far found that mentions Houdini is from the Avondale Sun, and it was published a month or so after his death.

Of course, online searches will be more limited than being able to plow through the archives at the library. Hopefully you'll turn up something. I'd be curious to learn what you find, as would a few of my friends still there.

Be aware that a number of those Birmingham theaters changed names over the years. Having that knowledge will narrow your search.

Here are a couple of sites that will offer some theater names to get you started...

http://www.birminghamrewound.com/feature......art1.htm

http://bplonline.cdmhost.com/cdm/search/......ppress/1

I see from your new avatar that you are now in Birmingham. Do I know you?

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Houdini jumped in shackles and chains into the Mississippi, I think, the second week of November, 1907.
I believe he was playing the New Orleans Orpheum.
The fall of 1907 might be a time to look for Houdini in Birmingham.
He would be playing at the Orpheum--if Birmingham had one at that time.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The Orpheum opened in Birmingham in 1908. That's close enough to maybe dig a little deeper.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Variety magazine started in the early 1900s recorded routes of vaudeville entertainers and magicians. Sphinx magazine would have details of Houdini's whereabouts as would Billboard magazine which started in the late 1800s. Billboard listed everything. You can access all of these magazine with a membership in the conjuring Arts Research Center: http://conjuringarts.org/
You might even start there and just ask them the question you want answered, they might help you without a membership.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Sphinx wouldn't have much info on Houdini. Wilson had his panties in a knot most of the time when it came to Houdini.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Thanks for all the leads, y'all! I'll let you know what I turn up.
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Houdini was touring the South as early as 1902.
In a newpaper interview in Memphis he is discribed as an Australian.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 15:11, ringmaster wrote:
Houdini was touring the South as early as 1902.
In a newpaper interview in Memphis he is discribed as an Australian.

1902? I didn't think Houdini was in the U.S. in 1902. This could be another "Houdini."
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Houdini played Nashville and Memphis in 1899.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 19:36, houdinisghost wrote:
Houdini played Nashville and Memphis in 1899.
Do you have the date Houdini played Memphis? I have lost my notes. I need to go to the Memphis Public Library and transscribe that interview again. The microfilm copy is probably the only one in existance, it is readable on a viewer but to far too gone to make a decent copy on the library's machine. 1899 seems like a more reasonable date, the reporter had not heard of Houdini and accepted his account of being from Australia. Other than the interview I could find no advertisement or listing for Houdini. Memphis was having it's first street fair at the time, which further suggests 1899 reather than 1902.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
I think he played the Hopkins Theatre--I may be wrong.
Not Australian. He was calling himself (correctly) an "AUSTRIAN!"
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
He got a testimonial from the Memphis Chief of Police on, I think, on Oct 24, 1899.
It may be reproduced in Christopher's A Pictorial Life--which I no longer have a copy of.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Thank you, I'll try again to get that story.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini in Birmingham Alabama (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL