The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One coin routine for beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dingusdangus
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of dingusdangus
Hey All,

Im new to these boards and new to sleight of hand magic in general. Ive been practicing all the basic vanishes and concealments, but I need a routine to practice to bring it all together. Can you suggest a good published one coin routine that would be possible for a beginner to master? A major plus would be if there exists instructional video to teach it.

Thank you
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi ding, welcome to the Café. Smile

If you've been practicing the productions, vanishes etc., then besides Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic, I believe David Roth offers a doable One Coin Routine on his DVDs. Actually, OCRs are just bits and pieces of vanishes and productions and usually are just a part of the things you've learned along the way in this stuff. Also, there are many basic-type OCRs out there even those where the coin actually changes in the set. It's a fun routine to do and after a while it's sorta like just doing your own thing. Smile Again, welcome. Smile

Oh, and here's a basic one I'd say, and the kid ain't too bad with it. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWiyoxiRtb8

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
If you are new to sleight of hand you might want to start with something other than a one coin routine. When you only have one coin the misdirection gets more challenging. In a OCR you have one coin and two hands. If the coin's not in the right hand I wonder where it could be?

I would suggest a simple coins across or perhaps a simple gadabout coins.
Wes
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 13:28, dingusdangus wrote:
... Can you suggest a good published one coin routine that would be possible for a beginner to master? A major plus would be if there exists instructional video to teach it.

Thank you

Might want to start with the one in Slydini Encores. You won't be a beginner after you learn how to make the original work for you.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Yano
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Yano
David Roths easy coin magic DVD has a good one coin routine
jearnshaw
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of jearnshaw
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 13:36, Mb217 wrote:
Hi ding, welcome to the Café. Smile

If you've been practicing the productions, vanishes etc., then besides Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic, I believe David Roth offers a doable One Coin Routine on his DVDs. Actually, OCRs are just bits and pieces of vanishes and productions and usually are just a part of the things you've learned along the way in this stuff. Also, there are many basic-type OCRs out there even those where the coin actually changes in the set. It's a fun routine to do and after a while it's sorta like just doing your own thing. Smile Again, welcome. Smile

Oh, and here's a basic one I'd say, and the kid ain't too bad with it. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWiyoxiRtb8

-Mb

I'm not so sure how "basic" that is. The kid does some holds / palms that aren't that easy. When I think "basic" I think a nice FP, french drop, spider vanish, RoV type of thing. I would say Ponta's one coin bit is much more basic in the actual moves.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, at least I was half right - he is a kid. Smile

You make a good point jearnshaw, just because a kid is doing it don't make it basic. I happen to think that it's pretty basic enough and I probably would never mention Ponta and the word "basic" in the same sentence. Smile But you make a good enough point here. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Dingusdangus,
May I suggest that you start walking before you try running. Your next step should be to start PERFORMING a single coin vanish. If you can't vanish a coin convincingly once then you can't do it multiple times, and that is essentially what a OCR is. Convincing magic is not about what you do, but how you do it. Everyone knows the mechanics of a vanish. How many can do it in such a relaxed, natural, and well timed manner that they can really fool anyone?

Practice your f**** transfers to the point that they can't be distinguished from the real thing. Then go out and perform a single coin vanish as your entire trick. At the point that you can consistently make jaws drop from a single vanish then you are ready to go onto routines. Then it'll be easy as you've already mastered the pieces that go into forming the entirety.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
This is all good advice. I would also add: Study Al Schneider's books to learn what it takes to do a convincing vanish.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One coin routine for beginner (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL