The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Card mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
I saw a show at the weekend, whereupon the mentalist allowed me to examine the cards and shuffle them. He then threw the cards into the crowd. That person was to look at one card, then throw them to somebody else, they to looked at one card. Then finally to a third person, they looked at one card, and then returned. the mnetalist then named their cards. Can someone tell me the name of this act, would I be right in the cassandra deck.

Cheers

carl
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Nope.

Assuming that he snapped a rubber band around the deck before he "threw the cards into the crowd" (which would otherwise be rather messy but impressive), and each participant lifted an edge and peeked at a card before tossing the deck to another participant, it's safe to say that you just witnessed a performance of the mentalism classic, the Tossed-Out Deck.

Tons of versions exist, devised by such luminaries as Ted Lesley and Max Maven. To see the original, read The Bold And Subtle Miracles of Dr. Faust by David Hoy, published by Magic Inc.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I hate to be a spoilsport, but I would doubt that the cards you examined and shuffled were the same tossed out. At least, that's my thought.

I agree completely with Neil; sounds quite like the Tossed Out Deck.

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
It may be useful to note that the Cassandra Deck has been used to create a tossed out deck effect.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2003-10-04 01:55, magicbygeorge wrote:
It may be useful to note that the cassandra deck has been used to create a tossed out deck effect.

If so, then I stand corrected.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
The Cassandra Deck allows for 1 or 2 "examinations" to show that the cards are different, which can then lead into a tossed out deck routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Card mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL