The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » From the Shadows.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
Do any of you know of effects based around or utilizing shadows? I have all these thoughts floating around in my head about shadow people and I just need an effect to put it to.

I already have an effect that might work with some adaptations, but I am definatly looking for more. So, any suggestions?
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Please expound on "Shadows" Are you speaking on hand or larger Shadows or going into the shadows.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
Just about anything really.

Stage, parlor, close-up...

Things where the magic that happens affects the shadows or the shadows affect the magic. For instance, something I have been practicing, you have a coin in one hand, and you can see the shadow of that hand on the wall. Then Your other hand comes over, but nowhere near the hand with the coin. But in the shadows, it appears that the hand is right on top of the hand with the coin.

Then you open your hand to show that the hand that HAD the coin, doesn't have it anymore, but the hand whose shadow took it, DOES have the coin.

Or when Teller cut the shadow of a flower, and the corresponding piece of the flower would fall off.

Or you make a shadow puppet bird that flutters around, and when you drop your hands, the bird shape stays there and continues flapping.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Not shadows but;
A buddy of mine does an effect where a card is selected and then a laser pointer is focused on a wall. It slowly expands out to a picture of a card. Also burning the image of a card on paper is cool.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
How about making shadow puppets to reveal the selection(combo of shadow puppetry and back palming)?
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Very strange, I was thinking about doing something with shadows this weekend at work. I was thinking of a four walled screen with lights behind it where shadows would appear of different things & you would open it up & remove them. Or casting hand shadows upon it & having the shadows materialize in the box & removing them.

Hmm....I guess great minds do think alike, don't they Mind Explosion?

Smile
MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
Lol I suppose they do!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I remember an episode of the X-Files where people would 'fall' into a guy's shadow, never to be seen again.

Their 'explanation' for this had something to do with dark matter...

Maybe things could disappear into a shadow like it was some sort of black hole, but when the light was shined on it, there's only a solid surface?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Very interesting idea Philemon, I like it.

Smile Smile Smile
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

A couple of Shadowy ideas to inspire:

- Teller once smelled a rose. When he walked away, the shadow of he and the rose remained.

- Lori Anderson would walk backward across the stage reciting a poem. As she paused and said "white lilly" an inverted shadow would appear on the back wall in her shadow's hand. She would walk on and leave the image floating.

- In the Secret Cabaret, an English bizarre magic show, host Simon Drake performed back-lit as a shadow and produced wine glasses and canes. The wine glasses glowed with color from the backlight.

- I humbly contributed an illusion to Half Baked where one pulls a puzzle-piece of their shadow out of their chest with their shadow hand. Light shines through them and the shadow puzzle-piece is only visible in the shadow hand.

- In the Achuca seance I did a little over a year ago, a shadow moved across the room in front of the guests where no one was behind them.

- I have seen dove workers make bird shadows and produce actual doves.

Just a few thots...

Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » From the Shadows.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL