The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Beginner chop cup routine question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Hello all
I am sure there are some posts about this, but with so many variations and varieties, I was hoping to cut to the chase with a recommendation that would best suit my situation. So I apologize in advance if this seems redundant to the regulars here.

I am new to the world of the chop cup routine, and my question is therefore at a beginner level:
What is the best chop cup routine to start with for a beginner, and where would I find the routine?
Is there a "best" DVD or booklet?

I do have some specific preferences, because of an idea I have to develop the routine after I have mastered the basics.
- I would ultimately like to be able to do the routine with a ball made up "impromptu"' ie from a borrowed bill or similar ( I realize I will need to learn a "move" to make this work, and advice on that would also be appreciated.
- I don't plan to actually perform the routine with a traditional chop cup , but I need to learn it before I can develop it as I want to.
- I plan to develop the routine into one which appears to be impromptu using everyday items, I'm sure you all know where I'm headed with this.
- Once I have the routine down using the everyday items, I would like to take it one step further which will form phase 2 of the routine.

So I'm wanting to start this journey with a nice "easy" proven chop cup routine, and then take that skill and develop the revised version mentioned above.
I would be very grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.
Thank you all in advance.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You could start with Don Alan's routine, written up by Ron Bauer and available from http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/purchase.htm

If you're planning that much variation, you might do just as well coming up with your own routine first. If you're using everday items, including a borrowed cup or glass, you will need some external source of "control"

Nicholas Night's "Enigma" is a good routine to give you ideas whether you use his gimmick or one of your own. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/752
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
A classic, time-proven, straightforward routine is the incredible Don Alan's. You can see him performing it for the incomparable Alma Cogan here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxXuRhvxUA

You can learn the routine by studying the video along with Ron Bauer's book, The Complete Don Alan's Chop Cup, which teaches it step by step by step.

I'm not sure that this routine is "easy," but I am sure that it works for me, and if not the best, it is unsurpassed.

Enjoy!
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Dave,
Actually, I have the external "source of control" sorted out - in fact that is the main reason I am looking at this routine in the first place. I'm wanting to make the chop cup routine more impromptu and a little different. Using paper cups and rolled up bills or pieces of paper is nothin new as you know - and that is the direction I want to go. I will look into Enigma - as you suggested, perhaps it would be better to start closer to where I would like to end up.
My phase 2 will be a variation on the paper cup and ball bit - inspired by P&T's C&B routine. It's not going to be easy - that I know.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Thank you Dave and Woland for the Don Alan info, he really does a fine job, I like his presentation and personality and the way it so completely disarms his audience.
I could almost learn it from the vidoe alone...almost Smile.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ron Bauer's book would be all you need, then.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Impromptu? Don't use any gimmicks or special cup. Do it all with sleight-of-hand. Look on you tube for John Carney for inspiration.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
@Sparrowhawk:
Don't try to be different until you have mastered a good, solid basic routine, such as Don Alan's. Once you have mastered all of the timing and bits of business, going into an impromptu routine will be much easier.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Beginner chop cup routine question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL