The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » When Props Fight Back - Head Chopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Magic Trick Goes Wrong the Enchanted Laboratory Busch Gardens

I feel for him. Smile

http://youtu.be/Z2NEZyZcFfI
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Wow, now I know why I do not like dicing, slicing and chopping routines!

Seriously though, I too feel bad for the guy.

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Ouch.... At least they had a voiceover to play in that unlikely event.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I wonder who made the prop?

Gerry
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Whoever made it would never admit it.

Jimj
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I feel for him also, as the same thing happened with my Lester Lake (not a spring though). (Once in 32 years with the same unit isn't bad though!)

I do check mine out now before shows, and with the weather and humidty swings here in Montreal, I bring it out of storage into a more climate controlled area before I use it and then repack it, just in case!

Blair

P.S. As a note I found the "victim" to be a little young for this effect, I do use young folks, but I prefer slightly older.
Selcouth
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Selcouth
A railroad engineer/train driver once told me that for 99.999% of the time, his job was one of the easiest in the world. Where his real skill and training came in, was on the rare occasion when he was miles from anywhere and something went wrong. He had to know how to make things safe on and around his train and, where possible, how to make emergency changes or adjustments to the equipment so that he could move the train to a position where he could get assistance. Similarly, soldiers are often taught how to strip down and re-assemble their mechanical equipment while blindfolded, so that they can do so without thinking in an emergency.

The history of magic is littered with horrific disasters, which include incidents involving some of the very finest and most practiced performers. This should serve as a warning that things can and do go wrong. Every illusionist should be prepared for an emergency and think what they could do and say when their equipment malfunctions or if someone becomes trapped, hurt or injured. I know, illusionists who advise stage hands of a 'key' word that can be used to indicate an emergency without panicking the audience.

It is not a nice thought, but these are facts that must be addressed. It is far better to consider these points when practicing than it is to stand on stage in front of an audience thinking, "What do I do, what do I say?".

YouTube is littered with minor incidents that have been turned into disasters, just because of the way that they were handled.

In a case such as the one being discussed here, the first priorities must be to reassure to 'assistant' while using ones knowledge of the workings of the equipment to release them. This should not involve shaking everything violently. Reasurance is vitally important, particularly when an untrained memebr of the public is involved. A trapped and distressed individual will be difficult to deal with and could cause themselves serious injury.

Everyone who uses volunteers must try to select those who are appropriate in terms of age and apparent ability. The very young are far more prepared to accept the 'magic' but, when distressed, they are more prone react in all sorts of unpredictable and sometimes extremely embarrasing ways.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Excellent words of wisdom to live by ...

Steve
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I don't get it. The kid's head clearly stayed on. Where was the magic part?

:P
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Gerry,

You would be surprised who made the illusion, but these things happen with the best of props. You always have to take care, and be ready.

(The show was produced by a known name in the magic biz.)

B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » When Props Fight Back - Head Chopper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL