The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Sleights Do You Practice With Your Other Hand While You're On The Computer??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheMagical1
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland
52 Posts

Profile of TheMagical1
Hi Dbzkid999,
I agree that this is a strange question to ask, but nonetheless it is a highly interesting one. So here goes...

I personally have a habit of practicing my back palms (cards), friction palming (coins), classic palms (coins and cards), muscle pass, top change (cards), knuckle rolling (coins), fanning and productions with my left or right hand (cards and coins) and my manipulations (billiard balls.) bluebikes:

Being ambidextrous, it doesn't really matter as I usually rotate the use of the mouse from left hand to right hand every hour in an effort to prevent RSI, but I think personally that practicing manipulations helps to prevent RSI when using a computer for a prolonged period.

Michael Smile
Sleight of Mind:- "A Great Place to Stop for a Break from Reality!"
Johnnymysto
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of Johnnymysto
Going in and out of Downs Palm, classic palm, and coin roll.
oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
I've seen kids who did homework and watched TV at the same time but they weren't the ones who got the best grades. Tom
Anthatron
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Anthatron
I always practice coin rolls with free hands.
alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
Coin roll and a clasic palm Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I don't practice while doing anything else. If I am working at the computer, I might play around with a coin, or a deck of cards, but I don't count it as practice.

I have goals and objectives to meet when I practice; so I don't want to do anything that takes away from that time.
Coram Deo
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
Dbzkid,

Please listen to what some of the people have tried to tell you above. When on the computer, use the computer. When practicing magic, practice magic! (OK, maybe you can practice palming a coin while trying to type on the computer, but leave it at that).

I am a musician and a band director. You know what that means? Countless hours of practice on my saxophone over the years. I may not be the best magician out there (since I'm still fairly new at it), but I DO know how to practice.

FOCUS on your magic when doing magic. If you were to focus on just your magic when practicing, you probably wouldn't have as many posts about being caught, or someone seeing what you did, or... (re-read John Clarkson's post above, or Pablo's, or Steven's...These guys, along with others also trying to help you, give some of the best advice and information here at the Café.)

You seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for magic, but you do NOT seem to listen to the advice given to you on these forums. I read another topic of yours where three or four people in a row gave you the same advice, and on your next post you ignored them.

LISTEN to the advice here and you will become a great magician much faster than trying to multi-task and do more than one thing at once. While you're fumbling around on the computer AND fumbling around with your magic, I'll be focusing...and improving.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I don't practise sleights, but I do practise / rehearse memory-type routines in my head whilst using my computer.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
I spin a pen which is a habit I learned before I got heavily into magic.
Bill
nike
View Profile
New user
ri
50 Posts

Profile of nike
I'm a big fan of multi-tasking. there's not enough time in the day to do everything I want, so if I can do 2 things at once I'm all for it!

that said, I usually don't like to practice sleights and do something else. only because I can learn a bad habit and not even know about it!

I do like to practice flourishes while on the pc or watching tv though. these kind of things I don't necesarily care if my form is perfect or not.

anyway that's my 2 cents! Smile
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
If any of you folks need a part time job to support the magic habit, do what I did for 3 months: telemarketing! They basically pay you to sit and practice sleights for 8 hrs. a day. Thanks to APAC, my double lift has improved a LOT!
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
When I'm on the computer, I make my coffee disappear.

I palm when I read which is the most magic multi-tasking I do as I try to be more aware when I practice, rather than less.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I hope the people advising that we do should focus on one thing at a time never commit the sin of driving while carrying on a conversation on a cell phone.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
I used to practice the muscle pass, but I'v gave up:(
Now my coin roll is getting better though:)

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Necromance
View Profile
New user
Pattingham, UK
53 Posts

Profile of Necromance
Anything that you can do with one (my left) hand! Any cuts or shuffles are great. It was also useful, when I was starting, to practise apalming cards- just getting used to the feel of it.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic-Arthur C. Clarke
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced-probably NOT Arthur C. Clarke
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Coin roll- or a cardini ball roll- or the two ball roll (dropping them a lot), but yup that's what I'm doing now actually.
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
My friend always has a sponge ball in the car, he practices passes and sleights with it at stoplights.

Some people have fuzzy dice, we have fuzzy balls.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
I make dissapear all the web sites that need my other hand for writing.
I mean, how much time can you spend without writing a URL or typing seach text, forms, etc?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Sleights Do You Practice With Your Other Hand While You're On The Computer??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL