The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » School of Busking 2012 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Greetings All!

I just felt like sharing my experience this weekend at the School of Busking. As an Intro I was a 'weekend warrior' off an on for about two years and I went full time about 2 months ago. The School of Busking is a trip that I have wanted to make for quite a while now and my real job prevented me from attending the course prior to this year.

First off it was a huge commitment for me to make to attend. I flew from the USA to Wales, and I had a very high standard of what I expected to learn and achieve on this trip. My personal goal was to learn how to more consistently take my crowd and make them an audience and how to interact more with them. That being said I won't lie that I was nervous of the 'dream car effect' How your favorite sports car will never live up to what you expect and how most of your heros won't be as amazing in real life. That being said the structure of the class was as follows:

There were 6 students. 2 of which were scholarship winners. They was a double act with a circus background that currently were working for a place called christmas land. They were literally working on an elf show. The other 4 of us were magicians. Phil a Rein Faire Worker with some street experience, Tom who does birthday shows, Flea Cirucs Acts and does ocasional street shows and Sean a close up parlor magician that's dream was to create and perform a street show.

The Instructors were Mario Morris and Owen Lean.

The first day we all met up at the Cardiff Magic Center had tea and coffee and did a short meet and greet before going into a day full of lecture on theories of what is a street show, proper structure, transitions, methods and techniques on attracting a crowd, how to entertain and play with the audience. how to take the crowd from an person that is watching to a show to someone that actually feels like a guest. On how to generate energy and manipulate it. How to develop a character and the types of characters that exist. And how to pass the hat.

THe second day was a workshop day. We split our shows up into different sections, The Set up, Attracting a crowd and the first effect were one segment, the middle effect, and the finale. Each part was worked on seperately working on how to smoothly transition in to the next segment. Building suspense, Learning to 'Warp Time' and slowing down our shows and then slowing down some more without loosing the energy of the show. We worked on Hat lines and patter that was natural to our character. It was great to get 1 on 1 feedback from Mario and Owen on each part and tips and ideas on how to improve. THat evening we were entertained by Mario and Owens Street shows in the show room of the Magic Centre. It was followed by a short lecture on why they structured the shows in the way that they have done. And then we all went out for Curry.

THe Third day started off with dress rehersals at the Magic centre to perform our shows to the entire group. I would like to not that this day started off on a sour note with news that one of the member of our group (from the elf act) had been jumped by 4 guys on his walk home the night before. He was pretty banged up and him and his partner had to skip the last day so that they could take him to the hospital.

After taking some time to re-focus after that turn of events we did our dress rehersals and then hit the streets. We went to Queen Street in Cardiff. We each built kept and hatted a crowd. Followed by Mario perfoming his Straigh Jacket escape show. It was a great experience for all us. We went back to the Magic Centre for one more feedback session and then we had a group dinner. We recieved word from our elf friends that there was no major injuries and that they were working with Mario on when they could come back to finish the course.

In Recap: The weekend was an amazing experience. The theory, workshop, and performance days were incredible. Not only did I met my goal of learning how to make a crowd more into an audience but I have made new long term goals and I know in which direction I need to take my show for it to properly grow and mature. I also enjoyed the fact that Mario and Owen had different theories and opinions on certain aspects and each theory and opinion was openly discussed among the group. There was no Right or wrong theory. It wasnt a class which taught you must do A then B then C. It was a course that was created to create more unique and intersting shows. The Fact that Owen and Mario openly discussed the mistakes they have made in their shows and the things that they have done to overcome this obstacles is inspiring. I can honestly say this trip was worth every penny to me. And that the friendships that I have made this weekend will easily last a lifetime.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

-bobert
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Well written Bobert and can't wait to see you on the pitch again.
I like the fact that the class was a descent size as I feel that
when you have too many students, it takes away from the attention
and details that is required for such an event.

I met Mario in Vegas and he is really cool people as well as Vee.
Taught me a lot I would say, but I think the Vegas School could use less
people in the class (for busking anyway). Mario's experience and
teach are valuable.

I'm jealous and wish I could of gone....maybe next year....
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hay Bobert It was great meeting you Happy Days Smile
I look forward to seeing you both again one day soon.

I know you guys have got your set but if you don't have the School of Busking DVD set. Check out the School of Busking DVD summer promtion that will end at the end of this mounth May
http://www.schoolofbusking.com/id23.html
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hay Bobert, you remember that drunk I had to deal with in the show you sore me do.
He is now telling other drunks to shut up and watch the show, made me smile!

This guy is a Welsh - Valley boy in the last years that I have seen him he has all ways got one if not two black eyes!
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
HaHa! Rock on! It's always nice when a heckler becomes a promoter!
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Another thing that occured to me today that Bobert told me is that you
go out to the actual streets. You are really hitting the pavement after
intense teaching and critiqing of your show....that's how it should be...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
The School of Busking has great things happening in 2013. Firstly this year the School of Busking is over the weekend of the 31st of May to the 2nd of June - we are taking reservations now and is limited to just 8 places. In addition the School of Busking 3 set DVD is now available as downloads. Also Mario Morris is regularly writing his blog giving helpful free advice on street performing, magic and life. Find out more by visiting the website http://www.schoolofbusking.com
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Good to hear you guys are still kicking. I'm sure that those who attend will benefit greatly..love to you both
JJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » School of Busking 2012 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL