The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports Saturday! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
37!

Sorry, I didn't mean to inject politics into this thread. Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
There it is!
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I took one down, passed it around, now there are 97 talking points on the wall.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
many long-time boxing industry pros are calling the Pacqiao-Bradley fight the worst decision they've ever seen.

Which decision is that? The split decision in favor of Bradley? Or Arums decision to fix the fight in the first place?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
All bad boxing decisions are attributed to being fixed. In Pacqiao-Bradley, it's kind of funny, because before the fight, people were expecting that if the fight was somewhat close but in favor of Bradley, then he would have no chance, because it would be fixed for Pacquiao. But when Pacquiao loses, now the fight is fixed for Bradley. The loss destroys what would have easily been the biggest money fight on the horizon, Pacquiao-Mayweather, which was still a possibility, and even if the Mayweather fight never happened, Pacquiao could have made as much or more money by continuing his win streak and fighting somebody new. If there was money to be made in Pacqiao LOSING a fight, it would have been Pacquiao-Marquez III; all of the fights in that trilogy were competitive and more editing and entertaining than Pacqiao-Bradley, and Marquez's use Mexican fan base would have generated much more money in a rematch than Pacqiao-Bradley II.

The truth is almost certainly much more mundane, and it follows numerous other bad decisions, most recently Pacquiao-Marquez III and Paul Williams - Erislandy Lara: there is a bias in favor of the busier fighter. The judges, in fixed position at ringside, can't see that many of them are missing. Bradley threw more more punches, and it's easy to assume (especially with the crowd reacting to every flurry, accurate or not) that they're landing. From the luxury of viewing multiple-camera shoots close up, we know that Pacquiao landed more, but that can be harder to see at ringside, even for professional judges. There's a very clear bias in favor of the guy who throws more punches, and it's tracked most of the major public upsets in recent history.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 11:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
The truth is almost certainly much more mundane, and it follows numerous other bad decisions, most recently Pacquiao-Marquez III and Paul Williams - Erislandy Lara: there is a bias in favor of the busier fighter. The judges, in fixed position at ringside, can't see that many of them are missing. Bradley threw more more punches, and it's easy to assume (especially with the crowd reacting to every flurry, accurate or not) that they're landing. From the luxury of viewing multiple-camera shoots close up, we know that Pacquiao landed more, but that can be harder to see at ringside, even for professional judges. There's a very clear bias in favor of the guy who throws more punches, and it's tracked most of the major public upsets in recent history.

Has there ever been a suggestion that the judges be allowed to use the video as an aid to their decision-making? It seems to be the trend in sports, and, off the top of my (admittedly ignorant) head, I cannot see a downside (other than, perhaps, delaying the decision a few minutes whilst (for Bob) they review the footage).
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
It doesn't help apperances that both fighters are under the Top Rank umbrella and that Bradley was tweeting posters for the rematch on May 29th. Which I guess was some sort of joke, but in retrospect looks terrible. Considering the fight practically "demands" a rematch.

http://twitter.com/Timbradleyjr/status/2....../photo/1

But really. Win, lose, whatever. The only ones who lost were the fans and boxing quit caring about thier fans a long, long, time ago.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I think boxing needs some kind of overhaul if it wants to get back to it's glory days.
I can't say everything that should be done because I'm not the expert, but something's been weird for a while.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think boxing will ever die, but it feels like it's been in a bit of a decline.
I may be wrong, there could be math involved and I'm not interested in that.
Maybe everything is hunky-dorothy and I'm misreading the vibe of the room.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Speaking of boxing I saw that Teofilo Stevenson died yesterday.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Ahhhhhh man, I missed that. That's too bad. I'd have loved to see him as a pro in his prime, especially with it being such a great era for heavyweights.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
A Stevenson-Ali bout would have been epic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports Saturday! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL