The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need help with fraidy cat rabbit (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I find that fraidy cat rabbit is fantastic until the end. They all want to see the back of the rabbit. I do all the turn it around gags. When I finally turn it around and show the back of the rabbit its like all the air went out of the tires. Instead of thunderous applause I get looks of bewilderment, is that it, oh, etc. It goes from screaming rollicking fun to zip.
What have you found to be the best way to end Fraidy cat rabbit that makes a satisfying and audience pleasing finale? Most of how I end it follows in the same vein as Chris Capeheart and what I see on you tube but they don't work.

Thanks for your help on this.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Back in the day before I became a sick and twisted story magician for the corporate set, I loved and performed Fraidy Cat Rabbit in almost every show.

The funny thing I found was that is played better for adult audiences than kids (go figure!)

Mine (back in the day, those were the 70’s) was one of the really beautiful finished wooden ones from Germany. The images were so cute (especially the rear of the bunny) it really helped the reactions.

Okay, I fess up to using a tacky line and some acting to make the finish work…

I’d s-l-o-w-l-y turn the plaque over, pause, smile, pause, then say
“And that’s the end of the tale.” t
hen look sort of sheepish and half roll my eyes.
Another pause, just looking at them silent…. and they generally busted up.

For adults my take was “This is a really lame thing I usually do for the kids, but I’ve got it here, so I’ll show it to you, you’ll think it’s lame too.” This took out all their expectations and they just sort of yawned and went along with the turn-it-around gags-- so it really woke them up when the surprise end happened.

I’m talking at least twenty-years since I sold mine (and I should have kept it that version now goes for a fortune) but my magic clown friend say’s she’s still killing them with it.

Magically, Walt
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I ask the children "why should I tun it around?" because there is a black rabbit on the other side.
I then have alook and say "no black rabbit here" they say SHOW IT TO US - you want to see the back of the white rabbit? I then show it to them. the pause is the moment when they ar thinking. this is the same as applaus. keep going and don't let the attention drop to much.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
You're running into the same issue most "sucker" tricks (as they've been called for years) have. The audience is led down the path and then you sting them at the conclusion. I have found it is much more effective to make it look like you're the one that got surprised. For instance, I use the Pizza Oven Surprise frequently. When I open both doors to show it empty, I say "Hey, who took my pizza?" At that point, they've been stung by the surprise of the pizza disappearing. If I left it at that, it would get the same reaction you are talking about. What changes that reaction is that I act surprised that it is gone and, when they spot the pizza hanging on my back, I'm "unaware" that it's there. Now, it's become a situation where they know something I don't know and they get a huge laugh when they tell me it's there and I can't find it for a second. (When they say it's behind me, I turn and look at my backdrop.)

I'm working on the same thing with Hippity Hop Rabbits. I want the end to be a surprise to me and not like I fooled them.

Walt solved that with his Fraidy Cat Rabbit by making it a very funny ending rather than just a surprise.
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
I find I have the same build to an anti-climax with Fraidy Cat Rabbit. I tried it for a few months in my show but it never quite hit the mark. If any gems come through on this one I’m all ears as I would love to put it back in the suit table.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I use Fraidy Cat during my summer/outdoor shows, since I don't have to worry about wind blowing over my hippity hops.

I also use it (as I do my hippity hops) to close my show, with a little message about things and people not always being black and white...we are all equal..in the end!!..and then I actually say "and that's the end of this show...this is where you give me a big round of applause and go YAYYY!!"

Since it is my last routine, I don't mind zapping their minds. I do do Pizza Oven earlier, but I feel that I take the sting out of that by having the kids 'find' the pizza on my back.

It works for me..because of things that I've done before during the show.

David
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
In the case of a Rabbit changing trick, I would tell them what the conclusion is - before you reveal it. Once you get the kids to verbally commit that it's NOT going to be that way....... When you do the reveal, you did magic.

Here is my take on sucker tricks with the premise being a Die Box, but you'll get the idea.
http://www.thehouseofenchantment.com/pag......cks.html

Incidentally I have a Elmer and Bugs Made by Reidel that was sold to us brand new and never been in circulation Clint only made 57 of them and we got 6 initially - But for larger audiences I like my giant Man In The Moon... It's 32 inches wide. When I bring it out at magician meetings some start laughing immediately and I know "who's been around the block" a few times. The small one is 9 inches wide - the medium is 17 wide. Spread your arms 3/4 the way apart, and there you have it. I love it.

Click here to view attached image.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When I am performing Fraidy Cat Rabbit I am always looking for someone who is very emotional. I call that person towards me at the end and tell them to explain what they mean by turning it around. When they come, I have them stand behind the rabbit to look at it before turning it around. The audience laughs at that person because of their surprised emotions. Next they turn it around to show others. Usually that person says something like "what?!" or "huh?!" as they first take a glance from behind the back.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Jay

I believe the Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd apparatus was made by Don Redmond and only 55 sets were made.

I agree, it is a beautiful and effective trick!

Magically

Julie
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Oh Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah

Redmond, right.... Swoger told be 57 (But it probably was 55).
(HP has a set for sale right now)

I also have Don's Doll House that folds flat = very Interesting prop.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I don't perform Fraidy Cat Rabbit, but I ran into a similar problem with a stunned response from a sucker effect. The stunned response can be acknowledged in a subtle manner in order to turn it into laughter. I shrug and make a face that mirrors their faces.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
The stunned response is priceless. I do this in every show. I build up the ending by asking the kids (right before I turn it around), "What color is on the other side?" They say white. I say louder, "WHAT color is on the other side???" They say white louder. I say it one more time and right as they are screaming WHITE I turn it around and dead silence. Mouths drop open, some kids always says, "how is that possible" and parents laugh. I then say, "I told you that you really were scaring him!! Are you ready for more magic???" The kids scream YES.

Love this effect.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Brilliant Mike, on so many levels, from the build up to the climax and lead in to the next effect, I using it all.

Thanks Dave
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Walt's idea is a good one. I had a similar problem with the Fastest Trick in the World. They were so stunned with the vanish, they never applauded. I added a verbal phrase and the response is incredible. It is like you are telling them it is ok to applaud.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Thanks Dave! This is a real winner for me. The kids are having fun throughout the entire effect with me and it ends with a real punch. The silence cracks me up each time and it tells me the kids were very fooled. I also give a face back to them. If you are goofy with the kids and really build this up it's fun. I wish I had someone that could video tape my routine for you so you can see just how well this plays.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Ps- when I tell them "I told you you were scaring him and making him turn white" that's when I typically get the " How is that possible" comment. The key is to get them all screaming the loud as they can, "It's WHITE" and turning it around right when they say white.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Here's a few more lines that help me set this up:

Kids, "You're turning it around." Me, "What do you mean I'm turning him around? You're scaring him?" Kids, "NO you are turning him around" Me, "WHAT?! No way, you guys are REALLY scaring him!" I begin turning him around and say, "see, he's black." Kids, "NO, turn it this way" Me,"okay, see, I'm turning him around and he's still black" do all your funny turn gags. Kids, "Not that way, do it like this". Me, "Wait a minute.... DO YOU THINK I'M CHEATING???..." Kids, "YES!" Me, "So you think I'm not doing Magic??" Kids, "NO! You're cheating!" Me, "So what way do you want me to turn this around? Kids, "THIS WAY" Me,"OH.... You should have said that!" "Now, if I do that what color will be on the other side?" Kids, "WHITE", Me, WHAT COLOR???" Kids, "WHITE!", Me, "I can't hear you...WHAT COLOR????" KIDS, "WHITE!!!!" As they are screaming white, I turn it around and say, "He's black! I told you that you were scaring him" "NOW who said I was cheating???" "You, you and you well guess what... I tricked ya!' "Welcome to The Magic Mike Show!!! Are you ready for more magic?????"

Something like that... I change it up quite often...
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I use this as an opener, and I can see the parents wondering
who the heck this guy is they hired, until they are fooled at the end.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2012, Dynamike wrote:
When I am performing Fraidy Cat Rabbit I am always looking for someone who is very emotional. I call that person towards me at the end and tell them to explain what they mean by turning it around. When they come, I have them stand behind the rabbit to look at it before turning it around. The audience laughs at that person because of their surprised emotions. Next they turn it around to show others. Usually that person says something like "what?!" or "huh?!" as they first take a glance from behind the back.

Here is a demo of what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYiNkxfI10o Check out the boy's facial expression when he turns it around. I am looking for a child who is going to show an active and humorous facial expression. I am reading the children personalities as I see them telling me to turn it around. If I see a child being quiet showing no expressions in the audience, I will not select that person to turn it around for me.

When the loud verbal child turns it around, they become quiet. And usually I ask the child "Why are you so quiet now?" That line makes the adults laugh.
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
132 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
I have a lot of fun by acting like they caught me.

After the turn-around bits, I'll finally "understand" they want to see the back of the bunny card and freeze. With a worried look, I'll repeat what they're asking for.

"You...want to see...the other side...of this?" <Yes!>

With a heavy sigh, I let my shoulders slump. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done this for you. You're too old for it and, yes, you caught me. I didn't do any magic at all and the other side is white."

I then turn it over and let them go nuts trying to tell me to look and that something magic *did* happen. Sometimes I'll argue a moment or two before doing a double-take at the card. I usually whip my head to the audience and back to the card, two times, then turn the card back to the front and say, "Clap your hands for the Magic Bunny!" (I'll sometimes do the standard quip to the adults that they're clapping for a bunny picture.)

Dynamike, that boy on your video cracked me up! Great ending!
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need help with fraidy cat rabbit (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL