The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's "'IDENTITY THEFT". (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
No demo yet:
http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48486

Featuring an amazing range of visually shocking new coin magic with TWO very cool coin gimmicks!'Magic moments' + full-length routines for ALL skill levels!
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Yay.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I felt that sarcasm.
Bardo
View Profile
New user
England
45 Posts

Profile of Bardo
Jay really does crank em out!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Trailer is up:

http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48486

Thoughts anyone?
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Double yay.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
This actual looks super-cool. I feel like people don't give a lot of Jay's work a chance just because it's so off-beat. This looks quite versatile, like you could sit with the gaffed coins for hours and come up with some super cool material. Sure, it's a weird effect, but I'm more than willing to dive in.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
I must have missed the effect.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2012-06-28 20:16, music wrote:
I must have missed the effect.

I must have missed it too. The "trailer" didn't tell us much as to what you actually can do with these new gimmicks.
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
What an annoying trailer. Need to watch this with the sound off.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
If you missed the effect, there was a good reason. This is simply a couple of modifications of a quarter, with a variety of effects using them. Trailer just showed portions of various types of effects that can be used with them.

The gaffs remind me of many gaffed cards - the size and shape are the same, but their faces/backs are modified.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
I didn't miss anything. I was referring to the repetitive drone of the so called music very annoying. That's why I said watch this in mute.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Is gimmick the right word here ?

In general terms I suppose that gimmick could just be a factor that makes something stand out from its contempories.

In magic I always looked on it as a secret device to fool people.

These gimmicks are essentially just odd looking coins that can be swapped for a regular coin using quite standard moves.

You could use washers just as easily -- as Jay does.

I'm afraid its a bit more hype over content for me.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 14:34, Ray Chelt wrote:
Is gimmick the right word here ?

In general terms I suppose that gimmick could just be a factor that makes something stand out from its contempories.

In magic I always looked on it as a secret device to fool people.

These gimmicks are essentially just odd looking coins that can be swapped for a regular coin using quite standard moves.

You could use washers just as easily -- as Jay does.

I'm afraid its a bit more hype over content for me.

Oops sorry when I said the bit about washers I didn't mean in this effect I meant in others such as :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIHxuh1QrQY

Interesting change from the holed washer to a whole washer there --same change as we see at the beginning of the demo for this product.

Got to admire Jays ability to find something really cheap to use as a prop though and then add a few standard moves and sell it to the masses.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The last Sankey release I got was The Gimmicks Lab which has some really cool effects and gimmicks on it. Looking forward to someone reviewing this.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
That was pretty underwhelming.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Doesn't sound like there is much interest in this one!
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
I'm not too interested, but would still be interested in a review if anyone's bought it.
stevenb123
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of stevenb123
I bought it-- on presale for $25 with another DVD for free. Nothing to complain about. Is it earth shattering? Well, no, but the gimmicks are cool, and I've gotten some great reactions.Best for impromptu work with friends who want to see something cool, I like doing it as a multi-phased routine-- borrow a quarter and have it signed. Wrap it in flash paper, ignite and let the coin drop into a glass. Spectator looks and their signed coin is now faceless. Then, apply more heat (here, I just use the warmth of holding the coin in my hand) and the features eerily begin to come back, but not fully. Then, with a final breath and rub, it returns to their signed original quarter. Many variations possible, and if you're not an expert coin worker (I'm certainly not), the DVD gives you lots of sleights, instruction and theory. I've combined Identity Theft with Jay's Smashed, Razor's Edge, and In a Flash. If Jay is not your thing, that's fine, but I don't understand all the negativity about a guy who always gives value for money and is a ***ed good teacher.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's the Penguin Cool Box deal for the next hour. Even has free world wide shipping.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2757

Jay demoed it during his Penguin lecture, so they have that footage up, really showing the coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's "'IDENTITY THEFT". (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL