The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magic and Theatre (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Who first brought magic into the realm of bona fide Theatre?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
Houdin and Hermann
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? Shakespeare and Marlowe had magicians and supernatural characters in their plays.

There are difficulties in storytelling when permitting the trickster too much time with the audience (See Gaiman's Midsummer Night's Dream Sandman issue 17) or in making the magic meaningful to the audience when it's entirely within the frame of a dramatic work as discussed in Maskylye & Devant's book Our Magic. With that in mind I don't know if the formats of "demonstrate the latest wonders" or its more recent offspring "nostalgia on parade" can be get very far into the realm of theater (meaning dramatic arts) beyond the level of vignettes and sketch comedy.

@jaynet - not sure which Hermann you are referenceing and the other guy's family name was Robert-Houdin.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 02:13, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
? Shakespeare and Marlowe had magicians and supernatural characters in their plays.

There are difficulties in storytelling when permitting the trickster too much time with the audience (See Gaiman's Midsummer Night's Dream Sandman issue 17) or in making the magic meaningful to the audience when it's entirely within the frame of a dramatic work as discussed in Maskylye & Devant's book Our Magic. With that in mind I don't know if the formats of "demonstrate the latest wonders" or its more recent offspring "nostalgia on parade" can be get very far into the realm of theater (meaning dramatic arts) beyond the level of vignettes and sketch comedy.

@jaynet - not sure which Hermann you are referenceing and the other guy's family name was Robert-Houdin.

And what of certain effects in ancient Greek and Roman theatre?

Magic Lantern?

Oracle of Delphi?

The Eleusinian Mysteries ?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think when panlives asked "Who first brought magic into the realm of bona fide Theatre" he was inquiring about who first introduced magic as a theatrical entertainment art form. IIRC the use of magic effects in classical Greece and Rome was not for entertainment purposes, but to convince the masses that the Oracle of Delphi really and truly spoke with and acted as the intermediary between mortals and the god Apollo.

There were magicians who brought magic into "legitimate theater" before Robert-Houdin, among them I think Joseph Pinetti. Robert-Houdin is usually believed to be the first because (to use a cliche) he had a better publicist--namely himself by virtue of both his autobiography and his book _Comment on devient sorcier : les secrets de la prestidigitation et de la magie_. If Pinetti had been better at self-promotion, he might have been a contender for the honor of bringing "legitimacy" to the art of magic.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magic and Theatre (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL