The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » 1930s-1940s Gangster Suit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Hey guys,

I am trying to find a real 1930s-1940s gangster suit for myself; however, I have no idea where to look. I tried searching for one on Google, but everything that comes up is just a costume. I want the real deal with suspenders, vest, hat, etc. (think Miller's Crossing, Once Upon A Time In America, Road to Perdition, etc.). Also, I am kinda small. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Daniel M. Carrico
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Daniel,

Try http://www.zootsuitstore.com that's where I got mine!

In addition to the zoot suits they also custom make 1930/1940 style patterned suits.

David
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Hey David,

I think this is just what I am looking for. Since you have purchased a suit through them, how would you rate the quality of the fabric, appearance, etc.? Does it look real and professional? I just want to make sure before I spend $400+ on a suit. Thanks!
Daniel M. Carrico
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Daniel,

I have been extremely happy with the quality from this company. The suit still looks great after performing 500 shows over two years outdoors on a theme park midway. Also, the company offers free alterations and repairs for the 'life of the garment.'

You can see photos of my suit here:
http://pages.cthome.net/entertainmentmagic/bowl.htm
and
http://pages.cthome.net/entertainmentmagic/hoops.htm

Good luck!
David
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
If you are ever in Hong Kong visit a tailor there. They'll make you up a tailored suit to your exact specifications for about $400 in under 5 days. Regardless of what you say you want you'll come out looking like a gangster, guaranteed!

Marc Climens
Jay Alexander
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
28 Posts

Profile of Jay Alexander
I second David on ZootSuitStore.com

I have about 15 suits I have bought from them over the years. They are not the greatest fabrics, often Poly blends, but great for stage since most don't wrinkle. Make sure you ask about the fabric. My favorite suit I bought from them had to much Poly and did not breath on stage. Five minutes of performing and you feel like fainting. They have great prices, service and tailors!

Good Luck,

Jay Alexander
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
When specifying a classic gangster suit, here's my suggested specification:

Jacket Style: Double breasted, 6 on 2 fastening, ventless back, narrow and fitted at hips
Shoulder: Square or semi square profile, capped at ends.
Lapels: Rounded peak lapel, 4.5 inch width
Gorge: 4 inches
Low fastening (waist button should be 1.5 inch below navel)
Trouser style: double reverse pleats, high waisted, buckle and strap fasteners, suspender buttons sewn on inside of waistband, 1/8 top pockets, turn-ups

As for material, avoid poly wool blends and go for a medium weight merino wool worsted of super 80's quality. 10-12 ounce should be perfect. Go for something dark. Black, charcoal, dark brown or navy blue is perfect with a heavy chalk stripe in light grey or white.

Back during the prohibition era it was common to wear a vest under a double breasted suit...if you want authenticity then that is a nice touch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » 1930s-1940s Gangster Suit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL